Too much work to evaluate a player

Our innovative Baseball Daily game- players cards change based on their real life performance

Moderators: Juiced JC, Palmtana

• Author

ROBERTLATORRE

Too much work to evaluate a player

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 4:07 pm

I called this out to SOM as a hurdle for me personally, must not be an issue other managers.

The player pool shows actual stats. It doesn't at all reflect the card value ( projections plus actuals). So basically you need to click on every player to get a sense as to what there card looks like.

Example as of 4/10/2016 - go to the player pool, look for a CF, sort by OPS. A common player search. The results, 4 of the 1st 5 player listed are <$1M. And where is Mr. Trout? About a third of the way down on the 2nd page.

This is an extreme example, but the reality for me is that I will need to click on every player to see a representation of the players offensive capabilities. So to make any decision on a player will require looking at dozens and dozens of cards.

I suggested to SOM that they present some kind of reflection of the actual card value in the player pool display, without that the time commitment for 1 team, let alone the multiple teams that I typically buy, is too time intensive.

For the managers that are playing the Daily card set, how are you dealing with searching the player pool?

Paul_Long71

Re: Too much work to evaluate a player

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 6:08 pm

I think you have to treat it more as fantasy baseball and less as STRAT. You have no chance to eval all the cards as they change constantly based on how they are doing in the season. Initially they are based off last year and projections and then as the season goes those projections are changed slightly as players progress.

lot of work to make a team the analytical way you'd MAKE a strat team.

ROBERTLATORRE

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 8:04 pm

Paul_Long71 wrote:I think you have to treat it more as fantasy baseball and less as STRAT. You have no chance to eval all the cards as they change constantly based on how they are doing in the season. Initially they are based off last year and projections and then as the season goes those projections are changed slightly as players progress.

lot of work to make a team the analytical way you'd MAKE a strat team.

Good point Paul, it's a different game, I am looking at it as Strat. I guess it's more like Fantasy Baseball base on what Glen Head thinks a players value is based on their projection formula, as opposed to Fantasy Baseball based on real life MLB.

So it's Fantasy Baseball, with a layer of Projections and Strat simulation on top of it if I understand it correctly now?

Projection + Actual + Simulation?

I do disagree with you though Paul on the "change slightly", have a look at Dexter Fowler's card. .610 OBP vsL / .450 OBL vsR? That's .200 points better than last year vsl L and about .120 points better vsR That's not a small adjustment ;-)

Swings like that based on a weeks worth of games would drive the Strat afficianodo in me KooKoo for CoCo Puffs. I play strat for the accuracy of the sim, mixing it with Fantasy goes against the grain for me.

It's a unique concept, but the investment could have been better spent in my opinion. What if that investment was spent on giving the Online game AB by AB game control? How much fun would it be to be able to actually MANAGE our games each night!

I give Glen Head credit for trying to deliver something that is completely different, not my cup of tea though.

Paul_Long71

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 9:24 am

agreed. not my cup of tea either.

ROBERTLATORRE

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 12:42 pm

I give Glen Head kudos for trying to be innovative and identify new customers, but for the core SOM customer I'd be concerned that this is a swing and a miss.

gbrookes

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 1:10 pm

For what it's worth, I really like it!

But I understand the perspectives set out above.

I love the fact that the cards change every day, and looking for "deals". It's really a different kind of strat game altogether.

Re: card ratings - yeah, you need to look at the cards - salaries will not tell you how good they are.

But -

1. You can click on the card, and review the colour bar chart for quick feedback on the quality of the card;
2. You can click on the card, and get a good quick visual read on the card.
3. At least in theory, you can do a quick calculation on the quality of the card, based on the card image. I may be an exception, but I actually do this with the 200x cards often, even though I also have the ratings book.

Anyway, this is both the fun part or the challenging part, depending on your perspective. If you like the fantasy aspect, it's a cool game, even if it's more work than the traditional strat games.

the ghost of roger maris

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 8:40 pm

What happens to Schwarber? His card is very good.
His stats won't change and being an injury 6 means I might get over 400ABs from him....
or as he isn't playing will his card dwindle down to nothing?
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

The Biomechanical Man

PostThu Apr 14, 2016 5:51 pm

the ghost of roger maris wrote:What happens to Schwarber? His card is very good.

For a DH!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Daily