"can anyone tell who has the better team with this format?"

Our innovative Baseball Daily game- players cards change based on their real life performance

Moderators: Juiced JC, Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 am

The short answer (from me) is, "No, it's not easy to tell who has the better team, if it's even possible at all."

This is like one step further removed from 200X or ATG, where the cards are known. In the mystery games, the cards don't change, but you don't know at first which card you have.

But in this game, the cards *start* looking one way, based on a combination of the 2015 stats as well as 2016 projections. Then they change every day, with 2016 daily results, which *are* factored into the cards, based on a weighting of results from 2015, 2016 expected, and 2016 actual.

I've played this once - last year in the trial run - and I loved it. My feeling about a good strategy is (1) have a few cards that are likely to be stable and good, which will tend to be high priced cards (2) have some speculative cards, that have the potential to get better as the season goes on, including young players, or old players having rebound years (3) watch the real life baseball results, and watch how the cards change! (4) watch for bargains - good cards with low salaries. The bargains allow you to maximize your run production (or run suppression for your pitching and defense.

The key is that you can't tell how good a card is by the salary of the card. You have to ***look carefully at each card*** and evaluate it! In this respect, it is not at all the same as 200x or ATG. You must look for those good cards, folks!!!

ScumbyJr

Re: "can anyone tell who has the better team with this forma

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm

It's great if you have the time and are willing to spend it looking for card upgrades. I understand the strategy of gambling on the potential upside of a .50 Den Dekker (without the HRs from the 2015 set card) or a Greinke whose new HR chances have a decent chance of coming off. I just hope we can play it after the season ends and the cards remain static.

gbrookes

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 10:32 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:It's great if you have the time and are willing to spend it looking for card upgrades. I understand the strategy of gambling on the potential upside of a .50 Den Dekker (without the HRs from the 2015 set card) or a Greinke whose new HR chances have a decent chance of coming off. I just hope we can play it after the season ends and the cards remain static.

I'm 99.99% sure that you can also play it after the season ends, when the cards are static. The trial league that I was in went past the real life MLB regular season end, and so we saw what it looked like after the cards were frozen. The cards just didn't change after the final MLB regular season game.

the ghost of roger maris

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 pm

it might also be wise to have some cash to pick up the mid season call up....
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

edwardneal63

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 8:46 pm

From Mr. Garcia's 1/19/16 blog (an excerpt from the statement section):

"As the player cards will update in accordance with the real, current Major League season, Baseball Daily will only be playable for six months of the year (first day of the regular season through the last day of the regular season)."

Uncertain if this has/will change(d) since the statement.

ScumbyJr

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 pm

edwardneal63 wrote:From Mr. Garcia's 1/19/16 blog (an excerpt from the statement section):

"As the player cards will update in accordance with the real, current Major League season, Baseball Daily will only be playable for six months of the year (first day of the regular season through the last day of the regular season)."

Uncertain if this has/will change(d) since the statement.

Not a smart business decision. (IMHO)

Valen

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 1:14 am

This raises the question can you still start a team say on September 1. If games are played 3 a day like the other online strat games and thus take about 8 weeks to play do those leagues finish out with frozen cards for the remainder of their schedule once real life game 162 is played?

And also curious about price fluctuation. Say Story started at 1 mil. As those 6 HRs he has hit so far get factored in to his card does his price go up for the people who have him or just go up for those who pick him up. Or said another way for those with crystal balls good enough to see this coming who started season with Story at SS initially paying .50 for him do they get charged more as the card improves or do they get to ride with him at that initial .50 salary even as his card fills up with home runs?

If the salary I have to pay Story increases as the card improves what happens if that increase pushes me over my $100 mil salary cap. Do I have to drop Story because he has improved too much? Or do I have to drop someone else if I want to keep Story? Clearly the salary to pick Story up has to go up as the card improves. And clearly anyone picking him up after the card is full of HRs would pay a high salary. But what about the guy who started season with Story? If that person drops Story does he get what he originally paid for Story minus a 5% transaction fee or does he get the current salary of Story minus a 5% fee.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball Daily