First night with 6 points up for grabs, 80's leagues loading

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Juiced JC

First night with 6 points up for grabs, 80's leagues loading

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 12:07 am

Always a fun night when 6 points are up for grabs and everyone has to start managing multiple active teams. Good luck in the 70's everyone!

Great progess on the loading of the 80's leagues! Some are already full.

mjsm01

Re: First night with 6 points up for grabs, 80's leagues loa

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 8:10 pm

Anybody go 6-0 last night?

djkalle

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 10:58 pm

mjsm01 wrote:Anybody go 6-0 last night?

Yep, it was my lucky night. My 60's team had a losing record and suddenly sweeps while my 70's team won a couple close ones to sweep as well.

SteadyEddie33

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 2:40 pm

Juiced JC wrote:Always a fun night when 6 points are up for grabs and everyone has to start managing multiple active teams...

I don't follow why the emphasis is being placed on managing multiple active teams. Being forced to juggle multiple mystery teams seems to tilt things in favor of folks who...tend to play more teams, have more experience with the sets, and likely have been playing longer (or I dare say, have more time available for strat?). Seems more like an experience thing than a skill thing, maybe? Just wondering aloud... :|

newsgame

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 4:05 pm

Agreed. I enjoy the tournament format but haven't really like how quickly one league rolls out after another after another.

Juiced JC

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 6:43 pm

Well my original comment was just about how things get more interesting with 6 points up for grabs each night (as opposed to 3) as teams can move up (or down in my case) very quickly. The reason for leagues running simultaneously is that the idea is to play all 5 sets to determine who makes the playoffs. In order to fit that into a calendar year, the leagues have to start a couple of weeks apart just to allow the 5 rounds plus 2 playoff rounds to complete before it's time to start the next tournament.

One of the reasons I am happy to be stepping aside as commissioner is new people can bring new ideas and perhaps some popular changes to the format of the tournament.

franky35

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 7:54 pm

I'll say it again, Juiced JC has done another absolutely fantastic job with the tournament and I'm grateful. We are spoiled by how well he has run this tournament. Now, on to the comments that the tournament doesn't provide enough time between starting teams. Right now, the tournament runs for about 10 months or so (including sign-ups). So, if the tournament is run with its current format except extending the time between leagues, it would run over a year. If people think there isn't enough time between leagues, here are some realistic choices to change the tournament format: extend the time between starting leagues and run the tournament only in alternate years; play only 3 decades instead of 5; or eliminate the semi-finals. If you want more time between leagues, tell us what you would like to take out of the tournament and people can discuss whether that would be an improvement. For example, we could have just 3 decades in the regular season with 3 weeks between season starts, then a semi-finals using a different decade and a finals using the remaining decade so that all 5 decades would be played in each tournament and having an extra week between regular season leagues.

mjsm01

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 1:18 am

I think 2 week timing is perfect. Keeps people engaged. Last 80's teams joined their league today (ahead of schedule).
Just to mix it up a little, maybe play decades in reverse order once -- that's my 2 cents worth.

djkalle

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 3:52 pm

mjsm01 wrote:I think 2 week timing is perfect. Keeps people engaged. Last 80's teams joined their league today (ahead of schedule).
Just to mix it up a little, maybe play decades in reverse order once -- that's my 2 cents worth.

Agreed. Or play the decades in a random order. Would be a nice wrinkle.

I also agree with the 2 week timing. Just doesn't seem like there is another good way to do 5 leagues in a one year period.

paul8210

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 9:35 pm

Great foresight in implementing a process that completes within a calendar year. Managing multiple teams will always be a challenge regardless of the number of weeks elapsed between the starting of the leagues. It's not a prestigious tournament without testing the best of the best in an all-inclusive(60's thru 00's) format that produces total mental exhaustion. :D
Next

Return to --- Mystery Tournament