The Race for the 2023 Mystery League Finals!

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

jaywalker72

The Race for the 2023 Mystery League Finals!

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 2:16 pm

....and DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!

Seems to me that most of this race is still wide open! Many teams with chances at the playoffs, and teams that have been in the top ten, now maybe in danger of losing that slot to a team currently on the outside.

Incredible drama! I don't even know who needs what, math-wise, to get in. I am sure for some it's just one game (or three games) at a time right now, but crazy finishes could be in the cards.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and things are more settled than my Florida Man brains can figure, but it seems like it should be quite a race to the finish! Good luck!

Jason

franky35

Re: The Race for the 2023 Mystery League Finals!

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 10:30 am

12 games left to play. Here's how I see it. sphilipp, franky, mburatti, gritch, barrmorris, and jaywalker are in. 12th place currently has 562 points and SteadyEddie is ranked 7th with 568 points (six above the line) and will make the finals with anything other than a complete collapse. 8th place colormeimpressed and 12th place Lee300 each lead their division by six games and just have to finish something like 3-9 or better keep the division lead and make the finals. That leaves the three teams currently tied for 9th and only two points above the line (Davehaller, ed1447, and fakesportsfan) in a game of musical chairs - the team with the best finish is nearly sure to make the finals, the next best will likely make the finals and the worst will probably miss the finals but could still make the finals if both djkalle and hallerose don't make the playoffs (see below). The best positioned is davehaller who currently holds a one game lead for the Wildcard in League 1. djkalle is on the edge - he's tied for 12th and currently he'd be in because he'd win the tie-break in League 2 for the wildcard (and he's only 1 game back in the East). League 2's East Division was tied for a long time, but in the last 9 games barrmorris and djkalle have broken on top and jsanders3rd and waynick have faded. The only other player in League 2 with a decent shot is TallEd, he is 14 points below the line but only 3 games back in the Wildcard - a spectacular finish (I'm guessing 9-3 or 10-2) could move him into the playoffs. Our beloved commissioner, JuicedJC, faded down the stretch and is 5 games back in the Wildcard and needs a miracle. So, basically, in League 2, of the players not currently in the top 12, djkalle has the best chance, with TallEd, jsanders3rd and JuicedJC still clinging to hope. In League 1, the big question is whether hallerose makes the playoffs. He has made the finals the last 10 Tournaments but last year he made the finals on a coin flip and this year he'll need a strong finish. hallerose is 6 points below the line but only 1+ behind davehaller for the Wildcard (the "+" is because davehaller wins the first tiebreak). #1 ranked sphilipp is finishing strong and is only 3 back in the Wildcard. In summary, of the players not currently in the top 12, djkalle League 2 and hallerose in League 1 can make the finals with a strong finish. Several others haven't been mathematically eliminated but will need great finishes. In last year's finals league, I made the playoffs on a 1/64 chance. So, if you've still got a chance, don't give up hope!

daveaq31

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 7:21 am

Always appreciate the updates. Thanks!

franky35

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 7:27 am

One day left, and there is a lot of drama in who makes the finals. In my last update, with 12 games left, sphilipp, franky, mburatti, gritch, barrmorris, and jaywalker were in. Add colormeimpressed and davehaller to that list because they have clinched playoff spots. There are 6 teams left with a chance to make the finals. Of those 6, 4 will make it and 2 won't. The key series is in League 2, jsanders3rd Can't Get (81 wins) could get to the finals, but they'll probably need a sweep over djkalle's Stingers (84 wins), which still doesn't guarantee them a spot because gritch (82 wins) and barrmorris (82 wins) could beat them out for the wild card or division win. And even if they do make the playoffs, jsanders would have to advance to at least the World Series to grab a spot in the finals. So, slim chance for jsanders, but still a chance. djkalle is very likely to make the finals - 2 wins clinches it and 1 win makes it highly probable, even zero wins could do it depending on the League 2 last-day results and the tie-break situation which is complex. SteadyEddie is extremely likely to make the finals as he leads fakesportsfan by 3 plus the tiebreak and can only miss the finals if he gets swept on the final day and several other events go against him. That leaves Lee300, ed1447, and fakesportsfan probably vying for 2 spots in the finals. I don't know where 2016 Tournament Champ Lee300 ranked at the start of the semi-finals but it must have been pretty far back. Lee could clinch a spot in the finals on the last day or by advancing in the playoffs. ed1447 and fakesportsfan are not in the playoffs, ed leads by one point going into the final day but fakesports has the tiebreak over ed. They play in different leagues so their fans will be scoreboard watching. hallerose has missed out, possibly for the first time in the history of the Tournament. This summary is of course unofficial.
Last edited by franky35 on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

canauscot

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 7:31 am

Started behind the eight ball and didn’t find a way out.
Another fun tourney, see you next year. Thanks for all the fish.

ed1447

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks for the analysis franky. What a fun tournament it has been. Of course last night fakesportsfan, Lee300 and I all swept. No margin for error in this tournament.

jaywalker72

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 1:05 pm

franky35 wrote:...hallerose has missed out, possibly for the first time in the history of the Tournament.

I kept assuming hallerose was going to find a way in, no matter what.

ed1447

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 12:17 pm

It looks like I am the odd man out and the finals is set. I’ll wait for final confirmation from our commissioner but rules is rules. Congratulations to all finals’ teams. It’s crazy how after 6 full seasons, the last slot had to be decided by a 2nd tiebreaker. Every single win really does count in this tournament! Good luck to all.

Juiced JC

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 1:37 pm

Consider it confirmed ed1447, you are out due to the tie breaker with fakesportsfan.

franky35

PostSun Jul 30, 2023 12:31 pm

We now know the 12 managers for the finals. Ranking for draft order could shift a bit but the 12 finalists are set. Like last year, the 90s is the final set and the results from last year's live draft are available.

This year's live draft is scheduled for Thurs, Aug 17 at 9.30 PM ET. My schedule is clear for that time. Are any finalists not able to attend the live draft?
Next

Return to --- Mystery Tournament