Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Takanahana

Re: Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 1:23 pm

I'll do any format, but prefer quick resolution of issue if possible. Congrats to all who made the finals!

franky35

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 1:28 pm

If it’s a slower draft I’d prefer it not be all 26 rounds. 10 and a stadium would be a good middle ground? You get a unique stadium and a core+ to work with.

For the "live draft" feature, I don't think 10 rounds is a choice. For "live draft" you can only do a full draft.

For a message board draft - the League Rules say 6 round message round draft. So, the rules would need to be modified for 10 rounds to be an option.

I've participated in 100+ message board drafts and a handful of "live drafts". In my experience, a 26 round live draft with a one hour window will take about the same amount of time as a 6 round message board draft and will be much shorter than a 10 round message board draft. Also, a live draft has a more predictable pace than a message board draft where the next pick could be in 5 minutes or 12 hours.

franky35

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 2:58 pm

So far, I've gotten 0 responses to my actual questions.

This reminds me of a famous thought experiment. Suppose you are sitting at a train switch and the train is racing down the track. If you don't throw the switch, the train will continue down Track A and kill three people who are tied to Track A. If you do throw the switch, the train will instead kill one person who is tied to Track B. That is all the information you have and there is no time to make any other decision than throwing the switch or not throwing the switch. To me, this is an easy question. But I know from experience, many people absolutely refuse to answer this question.

For the upcoming draft, there is no perfect solution. We can't have a quick live draft on the evening of Aug 18 where everyone attends. We can either make some suggestions for actual solutions or do nothing and expect the commissioner to make a decision that might be suboptimal as compared to another practical solution that the finalists might reach consensus on. I'm suggesting that if finalists respond to my questions (which I think are based on actual possibilities), then we might reach a suggestion for a more optimal resolution.

hallerose

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:16 pm

Prior to last year, our finals drafts were typically done on the message board for 10 or 12 rounds (including a stadium). This draft would typically take about 1 week. We would then complete our draft cards with undrafted players. Everyone had the core of their team. One frustrating part was that the next pick might take anywhere from 1 minute to 24+ hours, so we are constantly checking the boards if possible.

gritch

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:18 pm

I’m flexible on draft format. I would prefer more rounds than six, ideally the entire roster.

hallerose

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 3:32 pm

If we decided on the decade, a message board draft could start today and at least get through pick 3.

1. franky35 617*
2. gritch 614
3. jaywalker72 600
4. RICHARDGAGNON 586*
5. jmdziuban2 585*
6. Studmeister 580
7. daveaq31 574
8. piloneus382 571 (wins tiebreak)
9. ed1447 571
10. Takanahana 570*
11. sphilipp8 569
12. hallerose 566

*Still in playoffs. The world series of the semis will determine 4th and 5th. If Takanahana wins he'll finish ranked 7th.

Takanahana

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 4:10 pm

While ok with anything, I'll answer slow, one hr per pick live draft starting ASAP.

sphilipp8

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 5:03 pm

I'm ok with a message board draft but would prefer a full 26 round live draft with a one hour clock that gets turned off at night. I prefer using the live draft tool because you can set proxies that will greatly speed up the draft versus the message board draft. I'm also good with starting the draft as soon as possible.

jmdziuban2

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 5:33 pm

I can go with anything. Tues - Thursday evenings are not the best, but if time clock is reasonable I can manage. Can also queue several players if needed. Will likely know who I'm targetting round to round anyway. Then it's but a matter of adjustments depending on availability.

ed1447

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 6:25 pm

Ok with anything but here are my preferences given present circumstances:

1st choice: Live draft (1 hour per pick) for whole roster.

2nd choice: 10 round draft on the boards.

3rd choice: autodraft.

While I would have preferred a one night draft with 2 minutes between picks, hallerose can't do the 14th and 3 others can't do the 18th and I think that we should do draft that all can participate in.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament