Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

hallerose

Re: Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 5:45 pm

With the 1 hour draft, I would expect that most people would be using proxies after the 1st couple rounds. The proxies should fire immediately if you are not logged in to pick. Last year's live draft had 2 minute max picks, but after the 1st couple rounds the pick were largely immediate -- either from proxies or knowing who you wanted. Consequently, we were done in about 2 hours.

franky35

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 pm

This post is about the speed of the live draft. I recently finished a live draft with a 2 hour window and 24 teams that took about a week. Richard, sphilipp, and gritch were also in this league so they can chime in if they remember the length of time. The clock stopped at night although people could make picks at night if they wanted. Queued picks only fire off if (1) you check the box saying "I'm away" or (2) your previous draft window expired without you making a pick and you did not check back in by the time your next pick came up. So, if nearly everyone checks the "I'm away" box, then the draft will move fast. If only about half the people check the "I'm away" box, I'd expect several rounds per day. Due to the queue feature, the draft runs several times faster than a message board draft and is way less aggravating because you don't need to keep checking in.

franky35

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 am

SUMMARY

Here is my summary of this thread.
1) For the live draft on Aug 18, franky, sphilipp and Richard cannot participate.
2) No alternative date was found. The closest was Aug 14 but hallerose is unable to participate.
3) Regarding the 6 round message board draft. There does seem to be a consensus that a live draft with a one hour window is preferable to the message board draft. However, note that sphilipp has not commented specifically on this and several finalists haven't posted any comments at all in this thread.

If we do have a live draft with a one hour window, I suggest that we start late in the evening and turn off the clock at night. In this way, if someone is completely unavailable on the first day and cannot even set a proxy, they could set a queue late at night or the next morning. I believe the draft page is available at least 12 hours before the draft begins, so that provides a long time to check in and set a queue.

So, that's the best I can do on summarizing the facts and making a suggestion for the optimal finalist satisfaction under the circumstances. I'm excited to play in the Tournament Finals. For me, it is by far the funnest league of the year. I'll try to refrain from further comments and let the commissioner rule.

hallerose

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 8:54 am

My August 22-28 commitment has been cancelled due to covid concerns. So I'll be generally available that week if it makes any difference.

ed1447

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 10:13 am

August 22? 8 pm eastern? 90’s set? 2 minutes between picks?

gritch

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:01 am

That works for me. Ben

sphilipp8

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:08 am

I'm good with August 22.

Franky - I'm also good with the 26 round draft, 1 hour clock, no clock at night. I thought I posted this earlier. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle.

piloneus382

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:38 am

I should be good with the 22nd.

RICHARDGAGNON

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:53 am

good for me the 22th!!

Takanahana

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm

22nd good.