Commissioner's Top 12 Pre-Tournament Ranking (2022)

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Juiced JC

Commissioner's Top 12 Pre-Tournament Ranking (2022)

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 7:49 pm

Back by popular demand, here is my third annual pre-tournament ranking. This year I decided to make it a top 12 since that's the magic number for teams in this game. I believe we have 45 participants who were not in the tournament last year, so they should know which players they do not want in their leagues! This isn't necessarily a list of the best mystery set players, but these are the folks who have proven to be highly competitive in this tournament year after year. I also have a list of 12 honourable mentions who I expect to be strong contenders for the top 24 as well. I have also highlighted 5 participants who struggled in last year's tournament who I think will be stronger this year and could potentially be contenders, as well as 5 participants who did not participate in last year's tournament who might have some unexpected success this year. In all I'm naming 34 participants - will all of the top 24 come from that group?

----------

Commissioner's Top 12 Ranking:
12. daveaq31 - Only made it as far as the semi-finals last year, finishing 21st overall. Although not a great finish it marked 5 straight mystery tournaments in the top 24 for daveaq31, 3 of those in the top 15. He has made the playoffs in 54% of total leagues played in the 5 mystery sets. (Last year rank: 10)

11. Rjnewman - He finished a disappointing 39th last year, he missed the top 12 on a tie-breaker in 2020, but he made the final championship round in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. (Last year rank: 7)

10. mburatti76 - He was dropped from the top 10 last year after being ranked #9 in the 2020 list, and now he's back at #10 after making it all the way to championship round in the 2021 tournament. He is particularly strong in the 60's set where he was an all-time winning percentage of .547. (Last year rank: none)

9. AdamKatz - You don't have to look far from the top of the list of the best winning percentages ever before you see AdamKatz amazing .565 mark across all 365 sets, the second highest percentage of all qualifying tournament participants (behind hallerose). He finished 5 points out of the championship round last year, but made it to the final 12 in his previous tournament in 2019 when he was ranked #1 after 4 rounds. (Last year rank: none)

8. Rigged Splits - One of only 5 people to make the top 12 championship round two years in a row, and he's finished in the top 30 overall now for 4 years in a row. He is strongest in the 70's set where has has 31 playoff appearances and 11 championships in 56 total leagues. (Last year rank: none)

7. sphilipp8 - He made the semi-final round each of the past 2 years but fell just short of the final 12 each time after qualifying for the championship round in 5 of the previous 6 tournaments. He is particularly strong in the 90's mystery set where he has his highest winning percentage, highest percentage of playoff performances and highest percentage of league championships of all of his mystery sets teams. (Last year rank: 6)

6. Lee300 - Our 2016 champion was ranked #7 in the list in 2020 but fell off the list last year after finishing 74th in the 2020 tournament. He rebounded last year making the final 12 and winning 99 games in the championship round before getting upset by franky25 in the semi-finals. (Last year rank: none)

5. Jimmy_C - Has reached the championship round in each of the past 5 years, and has finished in the top 15 in 7 of the past 8 years. Look out for Jimmy_C in the 80's, the set he has played the most, the set he has the highest winning percentage in, and the set where has were he has made the playoffs in 62% of the leagues he has participated in. (Last year rank: 5)

4. Moodywoody - He has been the Mystery Card Players Championship winner 3 times including back-to-back titles in 2017 and 2018. He almost won again in 2020 when he made it to the finals in the championship round, losing to pushpin76 in Game 7. However, he has failed to qualify for the championship round in 2 of the past 3 years, which is an unexpected cold streak for this legend of the Mystery Card game. Believe it or not he is no longer as safe a bet as the 3 people ahead of him in this list. (Last year rank: 1)

3. pushpin76 - A rare two-time champion, pushpin76 has finished in the top 25 in 6 of the past 7 tournaments, making it to the championship round four times. He has made the playoffs in 60% of the mystery set leagues he has participated in, winning the championship 25% of the time. (Last year rank: 4)

2. hallerose - There are 3 things you can count on in this world - death, taxes and hallerose in the championship round of this tournament. His dominant run in this tournament includes finishing in the top 3 in every year from 2015 through 2018, and 5th in 2013, 2020 and 2021. With a .568 winning percentage in all 365 sets, hallerose ranks 5th all-time, 1st for players with as many sets played as he has, and the highest of anyone playing in this tournament. Look out for him in the 80's set where he has a .579 lifetime winning percentage - an average of 94 wins per season! (Last year rank: 3)

1. franky35 - The defending champ of the Mystery Card Players Championship. In my opinion he has officially stolen the title of G.O.A.T. away from Moodywoody. franky35 also won the championship in 2019 and has made the top 20 in each of the past 8 tournaments, 6 times finishing in the top 5. franky35 has 109 championships and a career .553 winning percentage across all 365 sets. (Last year rank: 2)

12 Honourable mentions who are likely strong contenders for the top 24 (in no particular order):
gritch - Not enough total results to make the top 12, but last year's tournament runner-up has made the playoffs in 30 of his 41 total teams played, winning 10 championships. It seems gritch has this game figured out quickly, with an overall .556 winning percentage.
JimmyJames209 - The strat radio show host (https://strat-o-logy.com) not only made it to the championship round last year, he made the playoffs before losing to gritch in Game 7 of the semi-finals. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the final 12 again this year.
FAaron - Has a winning percentage below .520 in all 4 of the older mystery sets, but finished 3rd through 5 rounds last year to easily make the championship round.
jugslavin - Qualified for the championship round last year, and missed out on the top 12 on a tie-breaker in 2019.
jmdziuban2 - Finished in the top 24 in 3 of the past 4 mystery tournaments.
merkle08 - Made the semi-final round last year, and finished 17th in 2020 and 15th in 2019.
jomboy78 - I jinxed him by putting him in the top 10 last year, only to have him finish 88th. His winning percentage in .532 or higher in all 5 mystery sets. Look for a rebound.
Takanahana - Made it to the semi-finals last year and the final 12 championship round in 2019.
stratorat - Made it to the semi-finals last year and the final 12 championship round in 2020.
killermarc - Made it to the semi-finals last year and the final 12 championship round in 2016.
Icterus Galbuli - He fell short of the semi-finals last year, but made the final 12 championship round in 2020.
Moodymets - Fell just short of last year's finals, finishing 13th, but he qualified for the top 12 championship round in 2018.

5 sleepers who will place higher in the tournament than last year (in no particular order):
pwoelfle22 (47th last year), Juiced JC (52nd last year), ciachefpete (80th last year), waynick (88th last year), jaywalker72 (108th last year)

5 Particpants who weren't in the tournament last year to look out for (in no particular order):
chris_s, hendrix08, dhaid1, Dan Gorman, MGoren5166

----------

Disagree with the list? Feel like you were "snubbed"? Do you think gritch and JimmyJames209 should be in the top 12 based on last year alone? Leave a comment to make your case!

FAaron

Re: Commissioner's Top 12 Pre-Tournament Ranking (2022)

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Thanks for giving me an Honorable Mention after my rookie season in the Tournament. I think you can blame my sub .520 winning percentage in mystery card games on my decision to play the Mets in a theme league that has been replaying every season since 1962 (we are currently in the 1996 season). Sphillip8 is also in the league and he can attest to just how awful the Mets were in most of those seasons. I consider it a moral victory that I only lost 100 games with the 1962 Mets.

franky35

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 pm

Moodywoody has the most tournament championships (3) and remains the GOAT. Very good list. I think hallerose should be ranked first since he always makes the finals and puts together run scoring machines. hendrix won the Players Championship so it will be interesting to see how he does in the Mystery Tournament. I know there will be a lot of people (including me) pulling for Juiced to make the finals, but I when I was (a very slacker) commissioner, I missed the finals because the time commitment of being commissioner of this tournament doesn't leave much time for managing. I'd include Rube, Delbird and WJS on the list, and maybe Falcon.

jaywalker72

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:20 pm

I was wondering if we would see the classic pre-tourney rankings and this went totally beyond expectations!

It is great to see the breakdowns of the different players as I continue to learn, learn, learn as well as take my beatings (I am currently hanging on for dear life against AdamKatz in an 80s league).

These and franky's unrivaled breakdown of the Finals last season, really help point out areas to improve on and which players I need to watch and learn from.

Additionally, for other newer players out there, the "recent championships" provide a great window into repeat champions and you can click right into that recently completed league and begin to understand how those players build rosters, play parks, etc.

And, Juiced, thank you! They only silver lining in last year's disastrous run is my mention in here - I will now try to avoid tripping over my own low bar. :D :D

Good luck, everybody!

Juiced JC

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm

jaywalker72, one of the reasons I chose you is you seem to have figured out the 2000's set quicker than most - that may give you an advantage later in the tournament now that the set is fully included.

pwoelfle22

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Honored to make a list. Blipping on the outermost ring of the radar, but on the screen. Just did a quick cross reference and landed mburatti76 in both my 60s and 70s leagues. The 70s league also includes Rigged Splits, jomboy78 and moodymets. If I make the playoffs in this league, i should get an auto invite to the semis. If I win, straight to the finals.

Good luck everyone.

Juiced JC

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 6:33 pm

pwoelfle22, at least you're not in 70's League 7, the randomizer was cruel to them. I feel as bad for the strong veteran players in leagues like that as I do for the others that have to play them. Everyone loses when a league shakes out like that. I guess over 5 rounds league assignment luck evens out (or should).

franky35

PostSat Feb 26, 2022 5:45 pm

There can be some debate about the GOAT Mystery Tournament player. But there is absolutely no doubt about the GOAT Mystery Tournament Commissioner. And it just so happens that he is currently on top of the tournament standings. Here (and at this point I'm raising my glass) is to hoping that he stays there. JUICED JC!!!

jaywalker72

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 11:02 am

franky35 wrote:There can be some debate about the GOAT Mystery Tournament player. But there is absolutely no doubt about the GOAT Mystery Tournament Commissioner. And it just so happens that he is currently on top of the tournament standings. Here (and at this point I'm raising my glass) is to hoping that he stays there. JUICED JC!!!

Seconded - An incredible double whammy!

jaywalker72

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 8:33 pm

I think I know the answer, but is there any chance to getting a final Juiced JC preview for 2023?
Next

Return to --- Mystery Tournament