Last day of the 90's season - the end of the line for many

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Juiced JC

Last day of the 90's season - the end of the line for many

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

With the 90's regular season ending tonight, we'll have a much more clear idea of who is alive for the top 24 by tomorrow morning. Tonight will also mark the end of the tournament for most of the participants, including myself unfortunately. So I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you all very much for your participation in the tournament. I've said it before and I'll say it again - getting a record number of participants (168) in this tournament and having EVERY participant stick with it until the end has been a remarkable achievement! So thank you for seeing it through, and I hope to see you all back next year. If anyone has an interest in taking over as commissioner of the tournament, please let me know. It's not something I'm sure I want to continue, and quite frankly we might need someone with a new perspective to figure out how to change the tournament structure so that we successfully incorporate the 2000's set as a fixture in this tournament.

To those that will be (or may be at this point) advancing to the top 24, stayed tuned as the 90's playoffs move on next week for info on the two 2000's leagues I'll be setting up for the next round.

Juiced JC

markmorrison

Re: Last day of the 90's season - the end of the line for ma

PostFri May 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Juiced JC. Thanks for your leadership in running the Mystery Tournament. I can’t imagine it going any smoother than it has gone this year. I appreciate the time and effort you have put in and hope you will consider running it again in the future. Many thanks.

Mark

franky35

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm

John (Juiced JC), you deserve total credit for running an amazing tournament. 168 participants with zero drops is probably a record that will never be equaled. Incorporating the 2000s into future tournaments will be challenge and I'll save most of my comments for a separate thread, but I need to make another plug for 4 more signups for a 24-team keepers league that I'm trying to get started on the 60s,70s,80s... message board to find out if the 2000s plays better in a 24 team format. Again, thanks to John this has been a superbly well-run tournament and also thanks to everyone in the tournament for joining on time, etc. Frank :)

paul8210

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Juiced JC, you provided the people patience, leadership, organization skills, and communication needed to make this tournament a fun experience for the rest of us. Really, a well-done job. Thank you.

Radagast Brown

PostWed May 12, 2021 12:10 am

Good stuff. Thanks...

I had fun, again!

Bonds went 50-50 plus 150 and 150+ for RBI & Runs..... And he started super slowly. He had a serious HR bender down the stretch.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1623554

djkalle

PostSat May 15, 2021 8:57 am

We had an Instant Classic game in League #9 of the 90's last night. Has anyone ever seen one like this in game #7?

The Evil Empire (Ciachefpete) work a run off of Eckersly in the 8th to tie it at 3 against the Mudville Nine (JimmyJames209). They work another run across the plate in the 11th. A great Trevor Hoffman in for the save. Nope, Phil Plantier hits a solo shot, his 3rd of the game and 7th of the series. Lots of 1,2,3 innings as the pitchers were dominating. There were a total of 4 hits over a span of 12 and a half innings. In the bottom of the 20th inning in game #7, Brett Butler smacks a 2 run homer for the Mudville Nine, his 4th of the series (which is quite amazing for him). Kevin Brown pitches the last 5 innings for the win.

Can anyone top that playoff game?

FAaron

PostSat May 15, 2021 2:37 pm

Brett Butler should be tested for PEDs! Lol

franky35

PostSat May 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Can't really top it because it was Game 5, but it was the deciding game that kept BretHOF out of the tournament semi-finals. In the 14th, Lou Whitaker and Eric Davis trade homers and Trevor Hoffman comes in to pitch for the Lemmons. In the 16th, Brad Clontz comes in to pitch for my Sprangle and I'm not feeling too confident because we're both out of relievers so it will be a showdown between Hoffman and Clontz. In the 18th, the Lemmon's Brad Ausmus leads off with a homer (his first of the season against a righty) but Sprangle scratches back with a run in the bottom of the 18th against Hoffman to tie. Heading in to the 19th, Clontz is exhausted (F0) and Giles smashes a two-run dinger. But in the bottom of the 19th, Hoffman gives up a walk and four hits to earn the L. Clontz gave up two home runs in extra innings but gets the W.

Return to --- Mystery Tournament