Important Note: Playoff Expansion

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Jimmy_C

Re: Important Note: Potential Playoff Expansion

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 8:09 am

I've participated in the tournament from the start. In the early days I could not get to the finals round, but just kept coming back every year. Then a few years in, I finished in 13th place 3 years in a row!! It was heartbreaking each time. It is tough to get into the finals round but I think its the "tough" that makes it good.

Eventually I made it into the finals round at #12. It was exhilarating to do so. I was even the beneficiary of winning a tie-breaker for 12th place 2 years ago. Sad for the other manager who is awesome, but thrilling for me at the time. It was thrilling because it was tough, but the "tough" made it good.

I've now made it to the finals round 4 times in a row, but only got to the post season 1 time. But that was so awesome getting to the post season that 1 time. Even though I got swept in the semi-final round it was good. It was the "tough" that made it good.

I'll always join no matter what the format. I'm definitely not an "everyone gets a trophy" guy so don't go just by my opinion please. But I think that if I got into the finals round at #24 or #36, and then ended up winning the championship it wouldn't feel right.

Juiced JC

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 1:02 am

Thank you all for your feedback both on this thread or via private message. My final decision is that we will go with Option #6 - a possible 5th round of cumulative points playoff round for the top 24 teams. After the first 4 rounds, the top 24 teams will be split into 2 leagues and those 24 teams (only those 24 teams) will have their points from this 5th round get added to the cumulative standings. So it's still an uphill battle for teams 20-24, but they will have a chance.

This is considered possible because we will only go to this format if we have 145+ participants. Please note that getting 145 people signed up is not enough - we need to start with 145 in the first round (60's) in order to flex to the new playoff format. In other words, if we have 13 or more leagues in the 60's we will have the extended 24 team playoff format. If we have 12 leagues or less we will stay with the existing 12 team playoff format.

I think this new playoff format is the best compromise. For one, it is not a drastic change and it does not dminish the accomplishments of the top few teams through 4 rounds as we are simply adding to their total for one more round. At the same time it significantly increases the interest of more teams throughout the first 4 rounds.

If you do not like this change I apologize. You have 2 weeks to back out of the tournament - just let me know.

Juiced JC

Radagast Brown

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 pm

I have made the final 12 two out of three times. I missed when it was my first ever tournament and I had never played the 60s or the 90s,( I still have only played the 60s three times, all in the tournament). ..... But having 8%-10% of the teams make the playoffs is a pretty slim playoff. I think somewhere in the 24-36 teams is perfect.

It's obviously not up to me, but I will be much more likely to join if 24-36 teams make the playoffs. ...

I think Juiced JC has come up with a great idea for an expanded, more competitive playoff format. That's just my three cents.

By the way, the only other two (semi) official Strat-O-Matic Tournaments feature more playoff spots.

mburatti76

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:05 am

I would be in favor of some type of expansion. I think I would lean towards option #2. I think it keeps it to the best of the best, allows the 8 very best to get a bye and gives 8 extra teams a shot to play their way to a title.

I don't think there's a huge difference between finishing 12th and 20th, especially when there are some luck factors like league draw and maybe an average team sneaking into the playoffs and going on a hot streak to win a league and pile up 15 quick points. So with that in mind, I think it's a good idea to give a few extra teams a shot at it.

Additionally, I know of another player that told me he was not going to participate this year because he knows he has no shot at making the top 12 and I would be surprised if he's the only one that feels that way. Even a few extra slots might make the tournament more appealing overall to more players.

cabrera24

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 2:47 am

I know of another player that told me he was not going to participate this year because he knows he has no shot at making the top 12 and I would be surprised if he's the only one that feels that way.

I think the main idea here is to have fun. Let's try to win 1 or 2 leagues + a Championship.

To make the final 12 or 24 you need to have 4 great seasons... + Championship.

Personally I will try to improve on my 96th/143 position a year ago. I have made the playoffs only with the 90's last year to finally lost in the Finals.

I will be very happy if I can be in the top 40-50... Looking forward to win a Championship against great competition...

Thanks Juiced JC.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 pm

I agree. And I also know that luck can definitely play a big role,especially with the rolls. I am 30 games into a Mystery season and my pitchers are minus 80 rolls with zero starters having more rolls on their cards. And minus over 70 for my batters. I think their are less than five players with more rolls on their cards. One of my pitchers started out 82-39 in rolls. There is just no way to tell what you have with those kind of rolls.

Besides, there are more than 12 of us who are in the top 20 (or higher) every year. I think the expanded playoffs make it more fair and competitive for everyone. I hope there are enough signups to make that happen.

I invited some of the ATG9 players, though I won't hold my breath for them to join. They would be a little out of their depth anyway.

FAaron

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:08 am

I have a quick question. I just got the 60th Anniversary announcement which included that the new 2000s mystery set will be launching next week. Is there any plan to include this into the current Mystery Tournament, or will you be holding off until next year to allow everyone to play a few seasons before committing?

Juiced JC

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:26 am

FAaron wrote:I have a quick question. I just got the 60th Anniversary announcement which included that the new 2000s mystery set will be launching next week. Is there any plan to include this into the current Mystery Tournament, or will you be holding off until next year to allow everyone to play a few seasons before committing?

This news is hot off the presses so I haven't figure out how we will incorporate the new set. I feel we must include it somehow, but I'm open to ideas how.

Ducky

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:51 am

I don't think it should be included in the 2021 tournament. Let's let managers play that decade for a year before incorporating it into the tournament.

Mike

JOHNBRUBAKER

Important Note: Potential Playoff Expansion

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 2:43 pm

I know that I'm to late, however. Thought I would throw in my two cents. I'm one of the new guys. This would be my third year. I like expanding to the 24 team semi no matter the final number of owners. Looks like we are going to have at least 132 owners. Twenty-four owners in semi's would be 18 percent. I like adding the 2000 set. I know there is an argument that we should practice that set first. However, reverse argument would be that the older owners. Have the advantage on the four current sets currently in use. All of the owners would have the same handicap on the new set. Most of the older owners have enough experience. That the adjustment to the 2000 set. Shouldn't be that difficult.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament