Yes Jim Mora, I am talkin' about playoffs...

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Juiced JC

Yes Jim Mora, I am talkin' about playoffs...

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 10:12 pm

Well we've finally reached our first playoffs with the 60's post season starting tonight. Good luck to everyone who qualified, except for Supersore who I expect to lose to me in the first round in 60's League 7!

I thought I should remind everyone about the importance of making and winning in the playoffs. The importance is the bonus points that are handed out in the overall standings. Here is the point system for the tournament:

- 1 point for each regular season win
- 5 points for winning a regular season division title
- 5 points for winning the wild card position
- 5 additional points for making the finals
- 5 additional points for winning a league championship

You'll notice the teams that have made the playoffs in the 60's have already been given an additional 5 points. That will happen each round, with the league champions having earned a total of 15 bonus points, the equivalent of an extra 15 regular season wins! The teams that make up the final 12 at the end of the four rounds will have likely made the playoffs 3 or 4 times total or made the finals of their league at least twice. Playoff spots and playoff success is critical to winning this tournament.

Good luck!

pats09

Re: Yes Jim Mora, I am talkin' about playoffs...

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:53 am

You have done an awesome job JC. Wish i could say the same :) .

Keith

franky35

PostSat May 18, 2019 2:01 am

First, let me again thank juiced jc for doing an outstanding job as commissioner. I will pledge that, if I win the finals round, I will ask SOM to ship 2 of my credits to juiced.

Now let's talk (unofficially) about who gets into the finals round. Yes Coach Mora, we are talking about the playoffs which will have a big impact on the final 12. The top 7 are in because there are only 5 teams that made the playoffs that could reach 379 points. The top 7 are: 1. markmorrison 409, 2. AdamKatz 407, 3. sphilipp8 397, 4. franky35 395, 5. mburatti76 384, 6. Rjnewman 380, 7. brian straub 379. In 8th place, waynick is in with a win in round 1 or a playoff loss by any one of Spider(R1), Takanahana(R1), hallerose(R1), bigdingkent(R2), or steadyeddy(R2). In 9th place, Jimmy C owns the tiebreak against jugslavin (1 WS vs 0) and is in with playoff losses by any two of Spider (R1), Takanahana(R1), hallerose(R1), bigdinkent(R2), or SteadyEddy(R2). Jugslavin is in with playoff losses by any three of Spider (R1), Takanahana(R1), bigdinkent(R2), or SteadyEddy(R2). In 11th, Spider is in with a win in round 1 or playoff losses by any four of Takanahana(R1), hallerose(R1), bigdinkent(R1), SteadyEddy(R2), or Falcon. In 12th, former Tournament Champ Lee300 is in with playoff losses by all five of Takanahana(R1), hallerose (R1), bigdinkent(R1), SteadyEddy(R2), and Falcon(R2). Merkle is tied for 12th but is out due to the first tie break (2 WS v 1). Takahana, perennial finals player hallerose, and bigdinkent are in with a WS win. Takahana is in with a win in round 1 plus a playoff loss by any one of Spider (R1), Waynick(R1), hallerose(R1), bigdinkent(R2), or SteadyEddy(R2). hallerose is in with a win in round 1 plus a playoff loss by any two of Spider (R1), Waynick(R1), Takahana(R1), bigdinkent(R2), or SteadyEddy(R2). In a surprise, 3-time Tourney Champ MoodyWoody did not make the finals and will not be grabbing all the free agents. bigdinkent is in with a win in round 1 plus a playoff loss by any four of Spider (R1), Waynick(R1), Takahana(R1), hallerose(R1), SteadyEddy(R2), and Falcon(R2). #17SteadyEddy and #19Falcon need World Series wins plus some other playoff teams to lose. phew. This analysis is unofficial - I may have made some mistakes.

FALCON29

PostSat May 18, 2019 8:02 am

franky35 wrote:First, let me again thank juiced jc for doing an outstanding job as commissioner.

Couldn't agree more!

franky35 wrote:Now let's talk (unofficially) about who gets into the finals round... #19Falcon needs World Series win plus some other playoff teams to lose.

Thanks for pointing out the futility of my situation. You know Franky, it would have been a little easier had you not stormed back to beat me in the finals of our 60s league after I won the first 2 games. You didn't really need those 5 points.

Oh well, to quote Lloyd Christmas, "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

franky35

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Falcon, your chances are something like 1/4 x (1/2)^5 = 1/160.
Lee300's chances are something like (1/2)x(1/2)x(1/2)x(3/4)x(3/4) = 1/14.2

FALCON29

PostSun May 19, 2019 2:43 pm

franky35 wrote:Falcon, your chances are something like 1/4 x (1/2)^5 = 1/160.
Lee300's chances are something like (1/2)x(1/2)x(1/2)x(3/4)x(3/4) = 1/14.2

I'll take that. Mary only gave Lloyd one in a million.

franky35

PostThu May 23, 2019 2:32 am

After Game 5 of the playoffs, things are getting clearer (unofficially). SteadyEddy defeated bigdinkent, so bigdinkent is out and waynick (who lost in the playoffs) is in. Takanahana won in round 1 and is in, which pushes Lee300 out of 12th place. So, with the addition of waynick and Takanahana, there are now 9 teams that have clinched a spot in the finals. Spider, hallerose, and Falcon are all headed to Game 6. A win in the first round of the playoffs would clinch a spot for Spider and hallerose. SteadyEddy has won the first round of the playoffs and will clinch a spot with a world series victory. Falcon needs a word series victory and losses by Spider, hallerose and SteadyEddy.

franky35

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Big Game 7 coming up for Spider and hallerose. It's make-or-break for hallerose and make-or-almost-certainly-break for Spider. Meanwhile, Falcon won his playoff series and his odds of making the finals have improved to 1/16, and we'll know tomorrow - if hallerose or Spider win, then Falcon is eliminated, if they both lose, his chances would improve to 1/4. Break out the voodoo dolls.

FALCON29

PostFri May 24, 2019 11:14 pm

franky35 wrote:Meanwhile, Falcon won his playoff series and his odds of making the finals have improved to 1/16, and we'll know tomorrow - if hallerose or Spider win, then Falcon is eliminated, if they both lose, his chances would improve to 1/4. Break out the voodoo dolls.

Well Spider won early, so the dream is over...

Good luck to all the finalists.

Spider 67

PostSat May 25, 2019 7:28 am

Whew! It took 6 HRs and 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th (3 HRs) to pull out a 1-run win.

Return to --- Mystery Tournament