note on helping new players

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

franky35

note on helping new players

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Every once in a while, you may spot another owner cutting a player that you know has a good year. For example, an injury-reveal or a ball park homer. If you see an obvious error like that, I suggest politely asking the owner if they knew the player was on a good year. Sometimes there is a good reason for cutting a good player but sometimes it is because the owner doesn't understand injury reveals. That way, this tournament can help some of the inexperienced players understand the basics of the mystery format and hopefully have more success and more fun.

Also, if you are a new player, don't hesitate to ask a more experienced player for help.

ROBERTLATORRE

Re: note on helping new players

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Totally agree Franky. Had help from a couple of veteran managers many years ago and it made the experience so much more enjoyable, and I hung around for years.

TIMOTHYFOSTER

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm

I could only wish - Definitely a steep learning curve and the pace of it is making that even more difficult. It seems like this tournament has the fastest turnaround speed and wish it had the slowest as imagine you vets are on top of it but I am having to move on to the next team well before I'd like to. Sounds like it has to go this speed but would be great to run something like this at a much slower pace so I could learn more rather than feel as if I am only a filler for a slot.
Also, where do I sign up for one of the leagues where guys will help with my bad drops? Sign me up as I am paralyzed by not wanting to repeat past mistakes so imagine I'm keeping guys way too long and also not figuring out which card they have until well after you vets already know. Mentor anyone? Thanks guys, it has been fun and I can see why so many of you guys prefer the format but long way to catch up that's for sure.

Jimmy_C

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 am

Timothy...this will help you out a great deal

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=634688

Radagast Brown

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Someone wrote:
I'm keeping guys way too long and also not figuring out which card they have until well after you vets already know.

First, read the Tips for new Mystery Players on the Mystery Forum Boards...

1. If you find out a guy is on a good card, one of his top three, keep him no matter what his replay stats.

2. If you find a player on his worst card, chances are good you probably want to drop him no matter how well he is playing...

The biggest mistake I see people making is, dropping guys too quickly... A bad outing or bad numbers do not always equal a bad card, and patience pays. Sometimes you will not get an injury reveal, and a lot of players have four good cards, which means there is an 80% chance they are on a good card.

I think this tournament is moving a little fast too, The Mystery Game is complex... I hear the start of the 1990s may have been pushed back? Either way, my team is loaded.

Icterus Galbuli

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 pm

I believe the best help I can give is provide a top ten list of things I do ...and then suggest they do the opposite! :lol:

Radagast Brown

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Definitely read the HELP FOR NEW MYSTERY PLAYERS thread (I am not sure exactly what it is called), it is well written and provides all the important information.

Also, Go to the Mystery Forum and post your team, during the preseason (or during the season), and ask for help...

TIMOTHYFOSTER

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Jimmy C et al:
Thank you and much appreciated -- I have read that thread at least six times but to be honest, each time I read it I have a better understanding of some aspect of the mystery leagues and so has been helpful. Looking through the leaders' teams has also been helpful, but mostly just to get an idea of how many moves are the "right" number. Definetely some disparity there but for the most part, I can tell its about knowing who to start with in the first place and some luck more than I would want to admit. At the same time, it does seem that many vets are able to distinguish which years card they are playing with much faster than I am.
Each of my teams seems to be ok in the beginning but as the season move along, that experience is obvious and I get to watch my teams start to slide. I think it is most definitely just take some time to get to know the game better -- it was that way with the other sets as well and while I'm still far from even average at knowing those sets, each season has made the next easier.
I greatly appreciate all the help and the support I've gotten and other than just paying my dues, think I'll post in the general forum to see if any vets out there missed out on playing in the mystery tournament and are regretting that now and if so, see if I can "hire" em as a consultant the rest of the way as imagine it would greatly speed up the learning curve to have some guidance on a regular basis. For example, I'm still struggling mightily with pitchers card and even though have had a few get injured, my "know for sure" rate with pitchers is way, way below my meager number I have with batters. I think I even had a pitcher get injured in a non-dh league and was confused by how that could be?
Anyways, has been a torrid pace and probably good because can see myself missing out on life just to micro-analyze even one team, let alone the four we'll all be running soon. It's been fun to say the least as well and appreciate guys willingness to give me insight even though it may not benefit them -- that tells you either I'm not a threat whatsoever or there are just some really nice guys on here and guessing its actually both. Thanks again all and good luck the rest of the way and please let me know if anyone frowns upon me seeing if I can recruit a mentor and I'll hold off a few days and check back here first before I try to lure someone on board.
Tim

Return to --- Mystery Tournament