• Author

ROBERTLATORRE

Re: Which 1970s League is the toughest?

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Watch your spelling boys!

Radagast Brown

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Good times! I can't wait to see my scores each night. Stretcher is off to a good start at 10-5.

JeremiahLBC

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Things are getting mighty lively. I've enjoyed following League 10 almost as much as my own league. I guess it's just the whole Unbeatable thing that perks my interest, it's nice to me to see the cocky ones lose. On the other hand I don't really see anything wrong with calling out a bad move if you think there was one. I don't think there are any rules that state it is not allowed and we can voice our opinions freely so I don't see a problem. Would I do it? Absolutely not, I've learned (the hard way) it's better to just keep it to myself or discuss it in private. People need to make mistakes and other people need to point them out, we all just need to learn not to take it so hard.

Good luck in tonight's games.

chess2899

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 pm

RICHARDGAGNON wrote:don't worry about chess he have a big mouth, he tell to me a long time ago 'the canadian people don't know anything about baseball.

What? :lol:

l.strether

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 am

JeremiahLBC wrote:Things are getting mighty lively. I've enjoyed following League 10 almost as much as my own league. I guess it's just the whole Unbeatable thing that perks my interest, it's nice to me to see the cocky ones lose. On the other hand I don't really see anything wrong with calling out a bad move if you think there was one. I don't think there are any rules that state it is not allowed and we can voice our opinions freely so I don't see a problem.

Calling out a player move publicly--unless between friends--is absolutely wrong. It's rude and it's poor sportsmanship.

Many things are allowed that aren't ok. A player is allowed to tell everybody the strengths and weaknesses of a specific team. That's allowed. A player could also post information helping a player beat his division rival. That's allowed, too.

If we did everything that was allowed, the game would really stink. Luckily, some of us care about sportsmanship and propriety and don't do rude, unsportsmanlike things because they're "allowed."

The Conndor

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:35 am

l.strether wrote:
JeremiahLBC wrote:Things are getting mighty lively. I've enjoyed following League 10 almost as much as my own league. I guess it's just the whole Unbeatable thing that perks my interest, it's nice to me to see the cocky ones lose. On the other hand I don't really see anything wrong with calling out a bad move if you think there was one. I don't think there are any rules that state it is not allowed and we can voice our opinions freely so I don't see a problem.

Calling out a player move publicly--unless between friends--is absolutely wrong. It's rude and it's poor sportsmanship.

Many things are allowed that aren't ok. A player is allowed to tell everybody the strengths and weaknesses of a specific team. That's allowed. A player could also post information helping a player beat his division rival. That's allowed, too.

If we did everything that was allowed, the game would really stink. Luckily, some of us care about sportsmanship and propriety and don't do rude, unsportsmanlike things because they're "allowed."

Your opinion has -- repeatedly -- been noted. This tournament is not about this debate, or yours or mine or anyone's opinions on this topic. It's been beaten to death, and this particular thread had absolutely nothing to do with this discussion until you cherry picked a small portion of someone's post to bring up this debate again. Ducky, who is actually organizing and running this tournament and has remained out of this conversation, expressed earlier in this thread that he would prefer that we not beat this dead horse again. Please at least respect the work he and the other tourney organizers are doing, and let's all acquiesce to his wishes to not continue this debate.

l.strether

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:51 am

Your opinion has been noted as well. I cherry-picked nothing from Chess's post. Ducky asked everyone to not continue things, but Chess decided to make a poorly-veiled comment about our disagreement. i appropriately responded to that post. I then responded to his hostile response that didn't seem to bother you. I then appropriately responded to Jeremiah's post commenting on responses like mine. It would have ended there if you hadn't imprudently decided to confront me. Hopefully, it ends now, and we can all move on.

Finally, since you're referring to my past comments. I merely made two:

1. I thought we shouldn't intimidate newbies by letting them know they were in difficult leagues.

2. I didn't think managers should help other managers with their specific teams before and during the season.

If I had any idea those ideas would upset so many people, I certainly wouldn't have expressed them.

chess2899

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 am

JeremiahLBC wrote:Things are getting mighty lively. I've enjoyed following League 10 almost as much as my own league. I guess it's just the whole Unbeatable thing that perks my interest, it's nice to me to see the cocky ones lose. On the other hand I don't really see anything wrong with calling out a bad move if you think there was one. I don't think there are any rules that state it is not allowed and we can voice our opinions freely so I don't see a problem. Would I do it? Absolutely not, I've learned (the hard way) it's better to just keep it to myself or discuss it in private. People need to make mistakes and other people need to point them out, we all just need to learn not to take it so hard.

Good luck in tonight's games.

Jeremiah, I am not the cocky one when it comes to the Mystery game. I am quite beatable. "Unbeatable" pertains to my chess history in the late 70s and early 80s where I won over 100 titles and was undefeated in International play against the Russians on the US Team. Yes, I am cocky but only in the game of chess. Psychology was a big part of the game versus the Russians. I retired in my prime ala Koufax to enter a new career. Hope to see you in a future league.

LMBombers

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 am

Chess, Sounds like you are in last place in the early going. If you need helpful hints on how to improve your team just ask someone. I'm sure there are many helpful managers that could offer opinions. 8-)

RICHARDGAGNON

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 9:49 am

InboxSent ItemsDeleted Items
Hey

To: All
Date: Saturday, 1/09/2010 12:15pm

Mo: We wanted Simmons, it is his best year!
Ron: That sucks!

Mo: We had to pick up Stieb and Scott.
Ron: Yeah, they are in their 2nd best years

Mo: Why did the Expos drop them?
Ron: Canadians don't understand baseball

Mo: We wanted Simmons
Ron: Yeah, what do you want for Simmons?

Mo: Yeah, anything for Simmons
Ron: Almost anything for Simmons

Mo: Are we irritating yet?

Mo & Ron
The Mental Midgets
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament