Which 1970s League is the toughest?

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

ROBERTLATORRE

Re: Which 1970s League is the toughest?

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 am

LMBombers wrote:Chess, Sounds like you are in last place in the early going. If you need helpful hints on how to improve your team just ask someone. I'm sure there are many helpful managers that could offer opinions. 8-)

FREE AGENT retired mystery card GM available! Some of the vets can vouch for me, I'm not a stranger to the mystery card game! Had too many irons in the fire to join the tournament. Missing out on the fun, happy to share anything that can help you understand the card set better. :-)

l.strether

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 am

I think it's lovely players are willing to give Chess and other players needed help. I obviously thought a tournament with players helping other players compromised fair play. However, everybody--including our organizers--clearly disagrees. I have no more intention of swimming upstream and disagreeing. I may even help out a few teams whom I find interesting, myself.

Ducky

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 10:50 am

l.strether wrote:I think it's lovely players are willing to give Chess and other players needed help. I obviously thought a tournament with players helping other players compromised fair play. However, everybody--including our organizers--clearly disagrees. I have no more intention of swimming upstream and disagreeing. I may even help out a few teams whom I find interesting, myself.

I have asked you privately to keep me out of this. I have not commented on this thread other than to ask that it stop. Quit throwing me into the mix when I have not made a public statement on either side of this argument.

l.strether

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 11:42 am

I wasn't trying to bring you into it. If you actually disagree with players helping other players' teams, I apologize. You are, however, the commissioner. I just logically assumed you would speak against it if you thought it was bad for the tournament.

Again, my post was merely to assure others I no longer have problems with players helping other players' teams. Considering the responses I got earlier, It is clearly what most players want.

Let's move on and enjoy the tournament.
Last edited by l.strether on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeremiahLBC

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 11:56 am

chess2899 wrote:
Jeremiah, I am not the cocky one when it comes to the Mystery game. I am quite beatable. "Unbeatable" pertains to my chess history in the late 70s and early 80s where I won over 100 titles and was undefeated in International play against the Russians on the US Team. Yes, I am cocky but only in the game of chess. Psychology was a big part of the game versus the Russians. I retired in my prime ala Koufax to enter a new career. Hope to see you in a future league.

I see, That is truly one heck of an accomplishment, one that you can be proud of. I didn't mean any disrespect by calling you cocky, hope you didn't take it that way. I know plenty of cocky people and I don't dislike any of them. However it is funny to laugh at them when they make a fool of themselves, because eventually they will.

chess2899

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 pm

My team definitely looks foolish at this point.
My money players have poor years. I don't know if Dick Allen is a keeper in his 9L year. Schmidt in the 80s is a keeper in his 6L year but the 60s is another animal. I love hitting stadiums but newbies in the 60s might need to be more conservative and play neutral stadiums. Luckily, there is always time to revamp one's line-up and hope that a hidden treasure is dropped by accident. We shall see how things transpire. There are many good players in League 10. Good luck to all and the most important thing is to have fun.

pwootten

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 1:03 pm

chess2899 wrote:
Jeremiah, I am not the cocky one when it comes to the Mystery game. I am quite beatable. "Unbeatable" pertains to my chess history in the late 70s and early 80s where I won over 100 titles and was undefeated in International play against the Russians on the US Team. Yes, I am cocky but only in the game of chess. Psychology was a big part of the game versus the Russians. I retired in my prime ala Koufax to enter a new career. Hope to see you in a future league.

Chess, we've never met, but this is crazy impressive.

Like a lot of kids from that era, I took up chess after reading and hearing about the Bobby Fischer/Boris Spassky matches. We had high school chess teams in Maryland that played matches against other schools. I was never going to be much of a basketball or baseball player, but I was able to ascend to fourth board at our rural high school. We usually got smashed when we traveled to other schools, but the memories are good. The typical chess team member was an interesting bird, to say the least.

And sadly, I haven't played ten games of chess since graduating.

Ducky

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 1:21 pm

l.strether wrote:I wasn't trying to bring you into it. If you actually disagree with players helping other players' teams, I apologize. You are, however, the commissioner. I just logically assumed you would speak against it if you thought it was bad for the tournament.

Again, my post was merely to assure others I no longer have problems with players helping other players' teams. Considering the responses I got earlier, It is clearly what most players want.

Let's move on and enjoy the tournament.

I am not accountable for the behavior of 131 other individuals. I receive no compensation from Strat nor am in anyway associated with Strat so to ask me to police people's behavior based on what they post on a message board without any proof of actual collusion is asinine. By the way, Rob's offer to help Chess was a good natured shot at Chess, not an actual offer to help. This is my absolute last post on this thread so give me your best shot since I am pretty sure you are one of those people that have never lost an argument or ever admitted to being wrong once in your life.

ROBERTLATORRE

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 pm

Paul, great memories there, watching those matches "live" on PBS with the moves being phoned in and the announcers analyzing each move real time! Using cardboard pieces on a chess board on the studio wall :-)

Best book ever for kids (or adults) to learn the basics? "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess"

l.strether

PostSun Jan 18, 2015 1:31 pm

'Easy on the "asinine." We're having a friendly discussion here; no need to get personal. I never said you were accountable for the behavior of 131 individuals. I merely said I logically assumed you--as commissioner--would speak against activity you thought was bad for the tournament. That's what commissioners do, and it's not taking responsibility for other individuals.
By the way, Rob's offer to help Chess was a good natured shot at Chess, not an actual offer to help. This is my absolute last post on this thread so give me your best shot since I am pretty sure you are one of those people that have never lost an argument or ever admitted to being wrong once in your life.

Neither you nor anyone, except LM, can say what LMBombers actually meant. The fact he had argued that helping other players was a good thing makes assuming he was serious quite logical. Either way, it doesn't matter. Most people apparently support players helping other players' teams. So, whether, Bombers does it, I do it, or anybody else does it, nobody should complain. See, I took no "shot."

And I will admit I'm wrong; I apologized to you in my PM to you. I'm just not wrong here.

Again, let's move, actually play, and enjoy the tournament. I'm looking forward to the 70's.
Last edited by l.strether on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament