Which 60's league is the toughest?

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

voovits

Re: Which 60's league is the toughest?

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 3:39 pm

l.strether wrote: Nobody's that good.

I would beg to differ. The lack of manager ratings do make it hard to tell, but the old site we used to play on had the ratings and if you looked at them, you saw some insanely high winning percentages on some managers.

l.strether

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm

voovits wrote:I would beg to differ. The lack of manager ratings do make it hard to tell, but the old site we used to play on had the ratings and if you looked at them, you saw some insanely high winning percentages on some managers.

I will beg to differ with you. I've been playing since the beginning; I've never seen winning percentages impressive enough to mark a manager as unbeatable (or even rarely beatable), and I've never seen a manager perform so well to be particularly elite either. As I said before, nobody is that good.

I know some managers enjoy ego-stroking and/or being marked as elite, but I've never seen someone who couldn't bomb a league, or even a championship. Altec1969 is the best player I have ever seen, and I've seen him bomb a few.

djkalle

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Until the change was made to not allow HAL to set the batting lineup, there were owners who almost never had a losing team. I studied and learned from them. I believe every one of the owners who had an overall .540 win percentage or better had perfected reading the cards based on this (I know many veteran, highly skilled players disagree with this process - but to anyone new, HAL will no longer put players in the lineup based on HAL knowing their card).

The mystery game is more fair now. Still, there are owners who know how to set up their draft card better, match their players to the park better, and make the correct reads when making transactions and that makes them harder to beat than others. Anyone can win but I still wouldn't want to be in certain leagues.

Those new to the mystery game - please ask questions and many of us will be glad to help you. I still remember those who helped me learn how to play the game well. If you don't know where to receive private messages, make sure you are logged in and look at the top of the screen - it has User control panel and then your number of messages. Click on the messages and read them. Almost all the people who haven't even responded this week are ones that have hardly ever posted messages. We are here to help.

l.strether

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Again, I've been here since 2002, and I've never seen managers who almost never lost. As you noted, most of those managers with the highest records were doing so by letting HAL tell them the quality of their players. That's hardly a mark of sublime skill. A .540 record is also indicative of a vulnerable manager, not a sublime elite.

There are obviously managers better than others, but there isn't this elite strata of dominant managers who can't be beaten in any league. You're obviously invested in thinking there are, and likely consider yourself and your friends most of them. That is fine, but it doesn't make it true. As I said before, asserting such stratification in the middle of an official tournament including newbies isn't the best form.

Good luck in the Championship.

P.s. Nobody should help anybody with any part of the game during a Tournament.

hallerose

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm

I think the players have gotten better in recent years. In addition, the pricing is better on more recent sets (60s & 90s), so there are not as many "bargains/pricing errors" as in a set like the 80s. Obviously, no one is unbeatable, especially with equal salaries (you can't spent 300% of the average team like the Yankees and then pretend you are great by winning 10-20% more), plus the randomness of the mystery cards. There are, however, a number of experienced managers who consistently build good teams, use successful strategies, stay on top of their team throughout the season, and make good decisions on the cards. If you consistently do all that you can maybe have a 55+% winning percentage, with maybe a 20% championship percentage.

l.strether

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

We're not in disagreement here. As I said above, there are a lot of good managers. However, there isn't this pantheon of elite managers who can't be taken down in any league. I'm surprised people are having a hard time accepting that. As I said, some managers do unfortunately enjoy feeling like they're part of some elite group. I was in a fraternity in college; I understand. However, that doesn't make that group as elite as they want it to be.

More importantly, as I said before, newbies should be able to play in a tournament without seeing some tournament organizers actually lionizing certain players as clear favorites. That's entirely inappropriate for an official tournament for prizes with cash value. If players want to celebrate each other, they should save it for the regular leagues.

voovits

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 pm

I wish we had the old manager records available so I could post the insane records of moodywoody.

The Conndor

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:League 10 does look tough, but none of them scare me. I guess the favorites should be the guys who finished in the top 12 last year and subsequent years...... I am surprised only 56 played last year... Anyway, I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

There were a lot more than 56 managers last year. I know this because I finished between 70th and 80th and there will still at least 30 names below me. I seem to recall at least 9 leagues last year, and 9 times 12 is 108. Did you mean that there are 56 managers RETURNING from last year? I have a cold, so I am dense, and maybe I missed that.

Ducky

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm

The Conndor wrote:
Radagast Brown wrote:League 10 does look tough, but none of them scare me. I guess the favorites should be the guys who finished in the top 12 last year and subsequent years...... I am surprised only 56 played last year... Anyway, I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

There were a lot more than 56 managers last year. I know this because I finished between 70th and 80th and there will still at least 30 names below me. I seem to recall at least 9 leagues last year, and 9 times 12 is 108. Did you mean that there are 56 managers RETURNING from last year? I have a cold, so I am dense, and maybe I missed that.

120 managers last year, 132 this year. dj was referring to returning managers from last year's tournament.

Rigged Splits

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 6:14 pm

I think there certainly are some elite mystery managers. They do have have off seasons and some are better in certain eras but they consistently do well. I think that if I were a newbie I'd want to know if they were in my league because if I beat them I'd know I beat the best and if I got whooped I'd could learn from how they managed. I know I get a kick out of beating managers like DJ, hallerose, JimmyC, Franky, and the many others that I'd consider to be the top managers. That is if I ever have beaten them. While I'd wouldn't be scared to be in leagues 3 or 10 I'm glad I'm not, because my league is tough enough. Sphilipp destroyed my 60s league in the last tournament and I was down near the bottom. Now he's there again!

I'll probably be in one of those great leagues as the tournament moves along anyway. The only reason you might not want to mention the strength of a league is because someone may not put their team in if they thought they didn't have a chance, but I doubt it.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament