General Tournament discussion

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

mjsm01

Re: General Tournament discussion

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Would anybody consider dropping the 60s and playing 70s, 80s, 90s & 2000s? Just thinking out loud.

FAaron

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 2:01 pm

I like the idea of adding the 2000s, keeping the 60s, and having 5 prelims with one final round of the Top 12

mburatti76

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Axlerod Gunderson wrote:It seems that 1-12 will have such a big cushion of wins that most of round 5 will be a mere exercise and be rendered pointless...

The top 5-7 are probably pretty safe, but those last 4 or 5 spots could move around very easily.

34th place is currently 20 points out of the top 12 and only 3 out of reaching the top 24. I wouldn't think it would be unreasonable for one of those teams to win 92 in the semis and another towards the bottom of the top 12 only 72. Then throw in some playoff bonus points and things can start shifting around pretty quickly. (assuming playoff points are going to be awarded for the 2 semi leagues)

Things are so bunched up, I imagine the standings will see significant shifts just between now and the 90's championships.

stratorat

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:51 am

The DUCKS are paddling as possible!!

mastermosser56

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 12:55 pm

.....there will be NO dropping of the 60s......like dude, just because you are not good at it doesn't mean it should not be played.

next year and following years should just be 5 rounds (60, 70, 80, 90, 00). top 12 move on. these "semis" in various tournaments are not worth the hassle just to allow the last few in to be bothered or bumped by the last few out.

IF there were to be semis, then do your top 24 format as stated, but everyone votes on the league/dh (1st or 3 points, 2nd or 2 points, 3rd or one point). SO each manager is voting a top 3, with 24 managers, you will get a much fairer process of choosing.

The one finals league I made in this a few years ago, the final 4 managers voting did not matter because the top 4 all seemed to either collude or coincidently all voted the same way.

stratorat

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 10:12 pm

Very disappointing that after 4 seasons in the MT, our fate will be settled by a 2000 playoff.
Seems we are forced into this new product prematurely and the early reviews is it seems flawed.
I will reconsider entering the MT new year if the 2000 continues to be forced fed- indigestion!

Juiced JC

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:49 pm

stratorat wrote:Very disappointing that after 4 seasons in the MT, our fate will be settled by a 2000 playoff.
Seems we are forced into this new product prematurely and the early reviews is it seems flawed.
I will reconsider entering the MT new year if the 2000 continues to be forced fed- indigestion!

I don't know stratorat, I don't think this is fair. I don't think the participants were "forced" into the 2000's set. I made the decision to include it after asking the group what their thoughts on it were. Most of those that took the time to reply were in favour of it. Personally, I thought it was a no-brainer. This 5th set, that a lot of us were long waiting for, gets dropped right before we were suppsoed to start, AND we had just decided to add a 5th round for the top 24 - the two factors seem to perfectly dove-tail together. Even the fact that it was new and untested was a nice feature, not a problem, because for once everyone was on an equal playing field using a set. Normally those of us that have played the mystery sets a lot have a sizable advantage over the newer players - not so in the 2000's yet. I would hope that next year's commissioner will include the 2000's set in some capacity, and if they do, I don't think it's fair to consider that they are "force feeding" anyone. Someone has to set the rules.

Juiced JC

djkalle

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Juiced JC,

You have run an absolutely great tournament. People can have their opinions but it seems like almost everyone, pros and rookies alike, have agreed this has been run great. It's not easy and it takes time, like herding cats at times. I would suggest whoever runs it next year to try copy most of what you have done.

By the way, if my 80's and 90's teams get lucky and make it to the playoffs and play deep enough for me to make it to the Final 24, I have no clue what I am doing in the 2000's. I will have to hire some scouts and get ready for the draft in a hurry. And that's okay as I knew the rules all along. I will need help from above.

Have fun everyone!

Chuck

stratorat

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 am

Didn't mean to imply that you "forced" anything. Wrong choice of words and words matter.
I think I was outvoted and it is a democracy afterall!
I agree with the above comment, you run a great tourney....

But I am still struggling with how to compete in a league that I have no experience with and the reviews above the 2000 League just do not fit my baseball style- grew up in the 60/70's and lost interest in baseball with the steroid era game.

Oh well,,,,

ths92110

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm

I would suggest keeping the 12 team finals format and adding the 2000's as a 5th round next year. The player pool is different but the same principles will clearly apply. Besides that, Juice's tournaments are the bomb. Keep it up please!!

Tom

PS. Power Slobs Rule ; )
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament