venting

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

Danchiacchia

venting

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:55 am

First of all, wanted to say how enjoyable this tournament has been. This is my first time doing it. I am a classic "also ran" (I think I peaked with an eight way tie for like 64th place), but have loved it never the less.

I say this in spite of the fact that my 80's team was cruising (relatively speaking), 56-42 and seemed headed to the playoffs. Then I clearly did something to piss off HAL, because the wheels came off. They have gone 9-28 since then, including one stretch of scoring 1 run over 54 innings. That prompted me to blow up the entire offense, which stunningly, only made things worse haha.

Anyway, these weird anomalies are what make me love playing it so much (right down to the mystery cards and the thrilling eureka moment when you figure out what year's card you have for a player, followed by the "oh sh*t I'd better release him immediately").

Thanks to all involved in putting this together!

YettieJohnston

Re: venting

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Ahoy,

HAL is a fickle master..... I would rather be lucky than good but foremost I don't want to anger HAL.

My brother would have a hard time in Strato since his name is Dave.

Yettie

FAaron

PostSun May 02, 2021 7:12 am

Welcome to my 90s world. My team was cruising with a 5 game lead through game 120. Since then, I've gone 5-19 including two 7-game losing streaks. My team was built around offense and my hitters stopped hitting while my pitchers continued to stink. Also, my division rivals made adjustments to their teams while I stood pat. Now I'm trying to build a pitching staff on the fly and it hasn't worked out so well.

Juiced JC

PostSun May 02, 2021 9:56 am

My 90's team has done the same as you FAaron - seemed fine at 68-53 and has gone 7-16 since and has fallen out of a playoff spot.

Ducky

PostMon May 03, 2021 3:37 pm

My 60s team dug such a big hole that I needed nearly everything to go right to make the top 24. 70s team wins 104. Easily the best team in the league and bows out in the semi's. 80s team looked like a playoff team and lost 16 of the last 19 which put the nail in the coffin. 90s team has the best record in the league at 87-60, but even a championship won't be enough. Tough tournament to get a winning performance from all four teams. That is what makes it so much fun and competitive.

Mike

Return to --- Mystery Tournament