ATG Question...

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bh327

ATG Question...

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 9:44 pm

Was looking for some thoughts on some of the experience ATG season players on what might be a good roster for success.

Spending lets say more on a solid pitching staff with a big park?......then hope for the best with your lower salary position players?

More sluggers with a less then average pitching staff?

The few times I played the ATG I had a average pitching staff, very little power,... but had a lot of higher average bats in my lineup.......only finished .500 a few times I did that strategy. Thanks

Wishbone Bruce

Palmtana

Re: ATG Question...

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

I'll copy this to the ATG Forum. Click through the threads in that Forum and you will find a lot of advice for your teams.

koomey

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 4:51 pm

I think you need to consider budget to make this question more useful - guidelines for a $200M team are going to be different than an $80 million team - part of the process is to test what you like as well - 24 team leagues will give you a purer view of your theory of team building because schedules are more balanced - 12 team league success has as much to do with how you match up with the other 3 teams in your division as to over arching team strategy due to imbalanced schedule - my records in non-themed leagues consistently have wins in the 80s to mid 90s but I have not cracked the code on the 100 win squad so take this advice with as many grains of salt as you would like - generally my teams are in the middle of the league in hitting/pitching and near the top in the other side of hitting/pitching

I think you need to choose a percentage balance between hitting and pitching - I have seen 30-50 % for pitching with 70-50% for hitting - I have landed on 40% pitching and 60% hitting but that's just me - recently I am playing around with balance between starting pitching and relievers within pitching budget - some people go with cheap relievers with most money towards starters - my preference is to have 3 solid relievers and a 4th for mop up duty - more reliever heavy budget should have starters at .500 and then relievers with above .500 records

Defensively I like to be strong up the middle but not overpay for too much defense

In limited budget leagues - I target 6 solid hitters and 2 defensive players and prefer to have 1 or 2 high budget hitters

Power is important but strat has always rewarded on base percentage more than slugging

Play with different strategies and see which ones you like - heavy RH power - heavy LH OBA - Base stealers

bh327

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 11:26 pm

Thanks for the detailed message. I appreciate your thoughts. Like you said everyone has there preference on spending more on pitching or hitting. Its a crap shoot.

I have only started playing the 365 recently and only have 8 seasons that Ive played in.

.500 or a little better overall. I've been a card and dice guy for 58 years but enjoying the 365 now too.

Bruce

WOW22

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 6:36 pm

I have played at least 50 ATG seasons. The winners do not have huge imbalances. You need more than just hitting or pitching. There is Speed and Defense. Look at my demo league team. Huge hitting 1-7, but also a 1 defense
at catcher (-3 arm), 2b, 3b, ss, cf and rf, with replacements in. Some ATG winners use the all lefty or righty, and draft parks to do the same. Check your starters, if they walk a lot, better get some double play makers!

Return to General Strategy