Starting pitcher use as a reliever.

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

PaulAlanWeintraub

Starting pitcher use as a reliever.

PostFri Oct 21, 2022 6:38 pm

Is this a bad idea. Do starters in your rotation get affected by using them as relievers. Also they often aren't used in relief how can you increase their usage as also relievers?

ScumbyJr

Re: Starting pitcher use as a reliever.

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 11:11 am

To quote Martin Fry in ABC's "Look of Love" -I don't know the answer to that question. If I knew I would tell you.

Just by experience I think it's hard to control and probably won't work out the way you want it too.
I rarely carry cheap SP/RP to avoid getting used.
SPs may get used as RP in extra inning games (especially non-DH leagues), even if they are SP only.
A SP/RP in the rotation will be used most often prior to his scheduled start so you probably want to align your rotation for that.

coyote303

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 12:12 pm

I pretty certain HAL avoids using a pitcher in relief if he is in your rotation or scheduled to start day-to-day. (It can still happen in a long extra inning game.) So, if you want a starter to be used in relief, don't put him in the rotation or just leave your rotation blank (and don't put him in your Per-game starting pitcher list).

I can't tell you if it's a good idea, though, because how innings pitched affect a pitcher's Fn-level (fatigue) is a mystery.

tmfw30

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 4:13 pm

I don't know how they pull it off, but I have seen people use Walter Johnson as both ace and closer to very good effect.

There is one way that I occasionally use starters as relievers, sometimes successfully. I use a 5-man rotation but have the "ace" of the rotation be a sp*. he only needs 3 days rest and will always start when he's rested, which means 1 of the other starters will be rested but get bumped. assuming they have a reliever rating as well (it only works when they do), they will be available to relieve, and it doesn't affect their ability to start the next day.

Return to General Strategy