Reading a advanced card question...

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bh327

Reading a advanced card question...

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:17 pm

Rookie to the online game question here. I have been a strat-o-matic board game guy for 55 years. Basic game only. I have recently started to play online seasons. I have a question on the "advanced" card. Or the online format.

I wanted to know what the last number or an outfielders card means. example

I am pretty sure the number on the infielders cards ( e number wise ) means an average of errors that played might make in the entire season at that position?

How about the outfielders...that looks different to me versus the infields e number......ex

Kyle Schwarber. LF 4 , (0), e0

My question what is the e0 mean? That cant be his average for making a error for a full season obviously.

Ex..C Blackmon RF 4, (0 ), e12 Again what does the last number mean on the outfielder's card.?

Acuna lf-2 , (-1), e8 Last number?

Another odd card is the J Baez card. How is he a 1 at ss when he has a "e" rating of (34)

ss-1, (-1), e34. A "1" infielder can make 34 errors and still be a one? I realize the shortstop position has the most balls directed at him and is involved with handling the ball the most on the field. My guess is that is the case.

bh327

MaxPower

Re: Reading a advanced card question...

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:18 am

The outfielder e numbers you're asking about are their error ratings, same as other positions. What's likely tripping you up is the middle number in parentheses, which is the arm rating. So Schwarber 4(0)e0 has a zero arm as well as zero e rating. Acuna 2(-1)e8 has a -1 arm etc.

The way Strat measures range and errors separately is actually very elegant and forward-thinking. One of the problems with the error stat in baseball is it doesn't measure range well. A fielder with average range who gets to a ball but misplays it is charged with an error, but a fielder with poor range who doesn't get to the ball in the first place is not charged with an error. So when considering overall fielding ability, it makes sense to ask multiple questions. The range rating is answering the question of how likely the fielder is to get to the ball, the e rating is answering the question of how sure-handed he is once he gets to the ball. So in the case of Baez, he has elite range but once he gets to a ball he boots a few more than average.

Return to General Strategy