Relief pitching roles for SP/RP pitchers

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Lee300

Relief pitching roles for SP/RP pitchers

PostFri Mar 04, 2022 1:30 pm

I have a strong starting rotation of all S6/R3 and S7/R3 starters, but a really crappy bullpen of RP-only pitchers.

What are the implications of specifying those starters in reliever roles, such as middle/setup/etc. How does using a starter in a relief role affect his POW rating? Does HAL ensure eg that a pitcher is not scheduled to start tomorrow's game (or the game after that) before bringing him in for a relief role? I certainly would hate to see my SP start the game as FO because he just pitch in relief the prior game , and likewise would hate to see him come on in a relief role as an F0 because he just threw a 8 innings as a starter yesterday.

Perhaps there is a description of the dual-use of a pitcher as an SP and RP somewhere that someone can refer me to ?

Thanks !

tdkearns

Re: Relief pitching roles for SP/RP pitchers

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 9:45 am

I would like to see answers to these questions also.

Lee300- one thing I am confident of is that if the starter is listed in rotation, he won’t relieve in the series before his start.

One question I have - if a SP/RP relieves in game 3 of a series, can he start a game in the next series? I think the answer is yes but it’s such a loophole that I am questioning it.

Return to General Strategy