Clutch Hitting $ results question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Lee300

Clutch Hitting $ results question

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm

My BTT80's Ellis Valentine was injured on the following unusual injury roll, apparently from his 1982 season vs LHP:

$2- gb(2b)A
+ injury

Since this roll was during a "clutch" situation, with 2 outs and men in scoring position, the result of the $ should have been that instead of the gbA result, it should have been a SINGLE**. Or so I thought.

However, on the play, the runner on 2B was thrown out at the plate attempting to score.

2 23 E.Valentine 3 Single 3-H 2-o b-2 F9
INJURY: E. Valentine for 3 more games

So.... why didn't the man on 2B score on the SINGLE**, and if he got thrown out, WHO threw him out, since this was a GB(2B). And how did this happen ?

Thanks,
Lee

coyote303

Re: Clutch Hitting $ results question

PostWed Nov 10, 2021 11:27 pm

SOM 365 uses the following maximum rule:
Maximum rule: More baserunning decisions
Using this option allows for more baserunning decisions because it does not follow the board game rules for baserunning. For instance, using this option you will often be asked if you wish to send a runner from first to third on a Single* or a Single** reading. In the board game Single* means a single with runners advancing one base and Single** means a single with runners advancing two bases (it is automatic in both cases, no option exists).

For more information on maximum rules used in SOM 365, follow this link:

https://stratomatic365.fandom.com/wiki/Maximum_Rules

Lee300

Re: Clutch Hitting $ results question

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Thanks for the explanation! I'm forever confounded by those "Maximum Rules" as they are implemented in the SOM365 online game, and was not aware it applied to single* / single** readings / results. Sheesh. Feels kind of kludgy. Since I play mostly Mystery Card games, the occurrences of the CLUTCH $ result is pretty much hidden from view since it could possibly be used as a year-reveal, so my Ellis Valentine injury on a $ gb(a) result might in fact be the very first time ever in my 40,000+ game SOM365 career that I even was aware that the $ clutch setting was actually involved in the result of the play in an Mystery Card league. And my running on second got thrown out at the plate. It might be another 40,000 games before that happens again on a $ result.

Lee

Return to General Strategy