Injury Replacements in Lineup Question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Sknsfan

Injury Replacements in Lineup Question

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last night my starting CF Tris Speaker was down for the first two games. Below is what my Lineups looked like:

CF - Speaker BU - Culyer
RF - Culyer BU - Seymour
LF - Seymour BU - Kiner
DH - Kiner BU - Protho vs Lefties / Backman vs Righties

In both games HAL left Kiner at DH, moved Seymour to CF and played Vince Coleman in LF.

Why didn't HAL use the line-up backups I have listed?

andycummings65

Re: Injury Replacements in Lineup Question

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Sknsfan wrote:Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last night my starting CF Tris Speaker was down for the first two games. Below is what my Lineups looked like:

CF - Speaker BU - Culyer
RF - Culyer BU - Seymour
LF - Seymour BU - Kiner

In both games HAL left Kiner at DH, moved Seymour to CF and played Vince Coleman in LF.

HAL used to not pull a DH to a defensive position. I think they tried to fix that, but I don't know that they did.

MaxPower

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 9:28 pm

andycummings65 wrote:
Sknsfan wrote:Thanks in advance for any insight.

CF - Speaker BU - Culyer
RF - Culyer BU - Seymour
LF - Seymour BU - Kiner

HAL used to not pull a DH to a defensive position. I think they tried to fix that, but I don't know that they did.

If you scroll to the bottom of any lineup page, you can see a 3yr old note addressing this issue. It states they are not sure if they fixed it or not and invites players to send them evidence in either case. I encounter the error sometimes but other times the DH is re-deployed correctly, and I've sent them evidence of both. I can't figure out what distinguishes the two cases and apparently neither can Strat. Three years seems like a long time to leave a known bug unfixed but what do I know.

milleram

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Hal can't make a 3 way sub (Hal's two dimensional programming I guess), not only with DH but anywhere.

The DH has to go to CF in your example--if Seymour were the injured player (in LF) the sub would have been made. If the DH can't go directly to the injured position, (or doesn't play that position) the sub will not be made.

DH is the one spot Hal will not move at all if you have no subs listed at all, or in the situation you had.

This is why Hal can appear to make 3 way moves when injuries are made with other positions, but DH is a locked lineup spot except when Kiner is moved to LF or another position listed on Kiner's card.

The only way to sub a DH is for DH to go directly to the injured position, with a sub listed for DH.

MaxPower

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 am

milleram wrote:Hal can't make a 3 way sub (Hal's two dimensional programming I guess), not only with DH but anywhere.

The DH has to go to CF in your example--if Seymour were the injured player (in LF) the sub would have been made. If the DH can't go directly to the injured position, (or doesn't play that position) the sub will not be made.

DH is the one spot Hal will not move at all if you have no subs listed at all, or in the situation you had.

This is why Hal can appear to make 3 way moves when injuries are made with other positions, but DH is a locked lineup spot except when Kiner is moved to LF or another position listed on Kiner's card.

The only way to sub a DH is for DH to go directly to the injured position, with a sub listed for DH.

This is helpful but could you elaborate on what you mean by HAL being unable to make a 3-way move anywhere? I feel like I see the depth chart behaving correctly all the time, everywhere except this DH bug. You seem to be saying that HAL does indeed treat DH differently, but I don't see how that squares with 3-way moves being impossible everywhere (if they're impossible everywhere that would suggest that all the positions were treated the same).

Sknsfan

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:33 pm

milleram wrote:Hal can't make a 3 way sub (Hal's two dimensional programming I guess), not only with DH but anywhere.

So had I done this it might have worked properly?

CF - Culyer
RF - Seymour
LF - Speaker (Injured Player) BU - Kiner
DH - Kiner BU - Prothro v Lefties / Backman v Righties?

Also sent those two games plus one more from last night to the support365 email. here's hoping it gets fixed one of these days.

milleram

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm

"So had I done this it might have worked properly?

CF - Culyer
RF - Seymour
LF - Speaker (Injured Player) BU - Kiner
DH - Kiner BU - Prothro v Lefties / Backman v Righties?"

Yes that sub should work if you can list it that way in lineups. (I play very little ATG so not familiar with those cards)

Hal will never move a DH except like the above listed example--if there is no sub listed for Kiner in above example--Hal will never take him out of DH even if it seems obvious to move Kiner to LF.

AS for 3 way moves. Hal just isn't programed to do it from the lineups, though Hal will make subs when multiple players are injured (other than DH) and then hunt for the best fielding so he can make 3-way moves--but ignores the lineup really.

From strato wiki rules: You need to read the whole rule to get the explanation, but last paragraph says the most.

How backups are used
The first thing to note is that the backups system only comes into play at the start of a game, when starting lineups are being determined. It does not affect in-game substitutions. By contrast, the reverse is true for Platoon PHs (below), which affect in-game pinch-hitting, and do not affect starting lineups.

In the case of an injury to a starting player, the computer manager will attempt to substitute one of the backups (in priority order) for him at the start of a game. If the first backup happens to be in the lineup already, it will attempt to shift that backup to the injured starter's position and play the backup's backup. To illustrate:

Sample depth chart
2B: Chase Utley (backup: Freddy Sanchez)
SS: Freddy Sanchez (backup: Bill Hall)

At the start of a game, if Utley were unavailable to play, the computer manager would try to insert his first backup, Sanchez, into the starting lineup at 2B. Since Sanchez is normally the starting SS, the computer would play his backup, Hall, at SS, so that Sanchez can slide over to play 2B.

At present, although the system is able to perform multiple, separate shifts in the same lineup, it can only handle one level of a given shift. In other words, using the above example, if Hall happened to also be in the starting lineup already (e.g. in CF), instead of moving Hall to SS, it would pull someone from the bench to replace Sanchez.

MaxPower

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Very interesting and helpful stuff, thank you much. It seems like you might understand this better than Strat themselves. I wonder why they would have so much difficulty making DH behave the way the 8 other positions already behave.

Sknsfan

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 1:07 am

Thanks this helps some.

Hopefully I won't need it often, and luckily with this team all 3 of my OF can slide around to either position without too much loss defensively.

But it's good to note moving forward.

Return to General Strategy