INJURIES

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bvargus

INJURIES

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Can anyone explain why Strat is violating it's own rules, and allowing "1" rated players to get hurt for 60 games? It's completely out of control in my league, where one team just finally got back a "1" rated pitcher from a 60-game injury only to have him get hurt for another 60. Similarly, I got one of my position players back from a 60 game injury, and in the next game, had another go out for 60. It's ridiculous.

jjii66

Re: INJURIES

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 8:08 pm

Sounds like you're in a Daily league. They use a whole different injury system.
https://stratomatic365.fandom.com/wiki/ ... ury_System

oldmansmith2

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Leagues using the super advanced injury system for the 2020 season will see more 60 game injuries than they're supposed to. The problem is that strat did not adjust the injury duration limits that are built into that system for the shortened covid season. For example, starting pitchers that had between 20-27 starts are supposed to have a maximum injury of 30 games and those with 28 or more starts are supposed to be injured for a maximum of 6 games. Of course no starter came close to reaching those thresholds in the 60 game 2020 season. Strat should have adjusted the thresholds to 7-10 starts for a 30 game max and 11 or more for the 6 game max, but they didn't. We just finished a season in a keeper league that uses the super advanced and I ended up with over 450 games of injuries and I wasn't even the team with the most.

milleram

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 7:08 pm

I played in one league with the new injury ratings--(which came out two or three seasons ago) and I will never play in another one--it's that bad--especially for pitchers. Drop penalties after 30 and 60 game injuries make those leagues unplayable to me.

freeman

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:49 am

The lack of thinking that went into those injury ratings is just amazing to me. Major league teams can deal with 60 games injuries because they have veteran depth at AAA to call up if need be to cover for injuries, they have a much greater abililty to trade and at least early in the year can sign guys. That is not true in Strat. And Strat is an optimization game. You get a 60 game injury to a major expensive guy and your choice is to either take a hit to the competitive strength of your team by having him sit for 60 games...or cutting him and taking a competitive hit to the strength of your team. All based on 1 die roll. You have vastly increased the role of luck in the game. Of course injuries after game 40 when the cut penalty goes to 10% become more difficult to deal with and after game 80 when it jumps to 20% become just about impossible.

Youre also--in a retrospective simulation--are giving a wide variance to how many games a 1 who can be injured more than 3 games will sit during a year. He should miss maybe 15 games...but 120 is not totally rare. Thats just ridiculous. It's not reasonable to have such a variance in games played and you are introducing too much luck into the game.

So what the reasonable manager winds up doing is simply avoiding guys who can get injured more than 3 games, right,? So your injury scheme winds up excluding a lot of the cards from being used.

Yes, major leagues have significant injuries. But they have tools to deal with those injuries. Strat owners dont have such tools, they introduce too much luck into results, too much variance in games played for a retrospective simulation, and wind up making a lot of cards unplayable. Other than that though...wait, what benefit are these injury rules trying to accomplish, other than a massive migraine trying to deal with them?

I never played in such a league because to me it looked ridiculous on its face. I cannot believe it's still an option.

coyote303

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:24 pm

And I was feeling sorry for myself when in a 60s league McCovey got hurt for three games, and in his next game back got hurt for three more!

This new Super Advanced Injury System, which I have never dealt with, sounds like a nightmare.

bvargus

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:59 pm

Looks like I opened up a discussion that has a whole lot of people angry, including many members in my league. (Which is a keeper league, not a Daily.) Now, maybe someone can tell me how my SS-1 just let up a hit on GB (SS)X with baes loaded and two out, leading to a 5-run inning? WTF, Strat???

jjii66

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:29 am

Incidentally, someone has created a Daily league using standard injuries. I was hoping that would happen!
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/455488

sociophil

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 10:48 pm

I like the rules for keeper leagues. It forces owners to build depth into the roster.

bvargus

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 7:49 pm

Sociophil, there's no amount of depth you can build when the game just keeps knocking out one player after another. In fact, I just lost my setup (2nd best reliever) for 20 games, and then my best reliever (closer) for 60 games right behind that. And one of my starters, too. And this all happened after rosters were locked, so I can't even call up a scrub reliever to replace them, either now or in the playoffs, should I happen to overcome all the injuries and make the postseason. We spend way too much time trying to figure everything out and then have it destroyed based on pure unadulterated luck. The game company needs to get a damn clue.
Next

Return to General Strategy