INJURIES

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Palmtana

Re: INJURIES

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 12:34 pm

bvargus wrote:.......The game company needs to get a damn clue.

Maybe I'm missing something but why blame SOM for whoever created your league choosing the rarely used Super-Advanced Injury System? Talk to your league mates about using the Standard Injury System where the max games missed is 15.

bh327

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:09 pm

You cant expect a player to play 162 games. My thought is that Strat-o-matic should throw in the term "injury or Rest " when the player misses some time. It just sounds better. You'll see real life players get days off all the time so strat should take the "injury" word and add " Rest or day" off to it.

If a starting player lets say in real life plays 150 games. He gets 10 days off during the season. He would play those extra 12 games in the strat-o-matic world. That player should get 12 days off during the strat season. Either all at once , or 1 day "day off" , or needs rest, till it adds up to 12 games lets say during the season.

Its almost like why should someone play a position card that has batted 175 times and hit .335 part time an entire season? ...and you expect him to play the entire year with that card and not getting injured or "needs rest" Not realistic.

So I think Start needs to maybe re think the word " Injury" and add "needs rest" to it. Again it just sounds better. It will never happen but just a thought.

JOHNBRUBAKER

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 3:06 pm

I'm not blaming Strat for anything in this post. Strat o matic has done a great job developing this game and running this site. I love this game and play it too much. This game is designed to be a simulation. It is not built to give you the exact replay results. Injuries fall along those lines.
That being said, I would like certain things adjusted regarding injuries. Pitchers do not suffer injuries as accurately has hitters. I think pitchers should have injuries on their cards. Their games lost graph should be different from the hitters. Fifteen games off is only four starts. Three starts for current MLB practices. Also, they should have a separate chart for players 4-6. That is where the advanced injury system came into play. However, most players hate that system. Because they do not want injuries to be an accurate factor. Face it, most players want to line up and just play without the injury aggravation.
I like the advanced injury system. I think it's more accurate than the basic version. We play advanced rules except for injuries. However, the game would need adjustment regarding roster strategy. Major league teams overcome injuries with unlimited substitution involving their minor leagues. Plus MLB uses a team injury list. In our game you are penalized for changing players. Which does not match up with the major league scheme. We could have a supplemental injury list. I do not understand why we need a 5/10/20 penalty during the season. I think this strategy is nearly the same as handicaps for golf. The good golfers do not want to give strokes to the lower golfers. However, they want them there to form the league. Why does there need to be a penalty. I don't see it as relevant.
Major league teams change players related to results and injuries. In our scheme of things, changing players in affect lowers your team's ability. Why initiate a rule that basically substantiates building a team. Then using it all season or your penalized. If we are emulating major league baseball. Then our rules should be adjusted accordingly. This is an excellent game to enjoy. We play advanced rules of game play over basic for a reason. If we play mostly advanced game rules. Then the injuries and player substitutions need to follow that same philosophy.
Probably the advanced injury system would not work for all strat players. However, I would like to see strat develope and incorporate an advanced MLB emulation. Using an advanced injuring system along with a team injury list. Also, without a monetary penality for the player changes. I think that this advanced team ownership concept would fly with many players. I think that the reason the advanced injury system never really gained a large acceptance. Is basically because of the salary penalty. I'm not saying that I have all the answers. Negotiations regarding the exact rules could be altered to improve the concept. I would like to see these options added as electives to the current game. We could call it something new. The Total Major League Baseball emulation.
Previous

Return to General Strategy