WINNING STRATEGY

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

danno

WINNING STRATEGY

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 7:50 pm

This is a general guideline for a winning strategy playing SOM 365 Baseball.

First of all, I'm not convinced that the draft process, or any strategy selections, have much affect on any respective team. There is much evidence that the four winners per league are pre-fixed (*See my post "Is the Game Rigged"). If the game is pure and without bias, then this can be a winning strategy.

Actual MLB strategy revolves around power hitters. Most managers have abandoned speed, good pitching, good defense and attempt to field a team of power hitters. Proof? The SB coupled with H & R are almost non-existent. There are many horrible defensive every day players. ERA's are bloated across the board with many HR allowed. Kids today are taught the upward arc swing which produces the long ball. Long balls are preferred over contact hitting, line drives, etc. The .200BA 30HR 75RBI player earns millions of dollars. 100+ K are common among the most puny hitters. BA means little to nothing anymore. OBP means little to nothing if you don't have someone to knock them in. SLG is the name of the game.

Food for Thought: Do not ignore players with a high SLG average. What you are looking for is run production. Those who hit many doubles are going to drive in runs and or get into position to score a run.

-- Simply put, choose a HR ballpark (I.E., Coors Field).
-- Field as many sluggers as possible.
-- When it comes to defense, a (3) defense rating with few errors and good offensive production is preferable to a (1) defense rating with low offensive productivity. Remember, the strike out is king which means fewer GB / FB.
-- Don't completely give up on your pitching. To win with this strategy, you must score, on average, about 5 runs per game. So, your team ERA must be equal to or less than 5.00. Look for pitchers who have a lot of "K's," low WHIP, and don't give up gratuitous HR (I.E., HR symbols #). RP is going to be tough because you won't have much money left over. Don't put too much emphasis on a closer because chances are, you won't be in a close game closer situations. Spend your precious RP funds on what I call a "Roving Reliever." I.E., most of us structure our RP according to CL, SU, MR, Mop Up, etc., configuration. When in fact, these guys don't come into play until about the 6th inning. By then, unless the game is close, they are insignificant and your SP have already been knocked out of the game. Most, including top pitching, are gone by the 5th and 6th inning. Your ROVER RP should be one of your best. He will take control of the game from the time the SP gets knocked out until your structured RP can take over.

Have at least one or two good back up players. Don't skimp on these guys. No, you don't want $$$ sitting on the bench but you can count on injuries so good back ups are important. I.E., Anthony Santander is worth $1.96M. He has hit 50+ HR for me in a starting role. He's an excellent backup OF. Munoz is a $500,000 player that can hit .300 and play almost every position. These guys are little back up gems. Look for them.

Don't spend too much money on a starting catcher. Most severely under perform. In my opinion, the best 2019 starting catcher in the league is Jorge Alfaro. He will consistently hit .280 20+HR 65-75RBI for $2.5M. He's good defensively too.

It's tempting to use defensive replacements in the late innings. The problem is that SOM365 is a very volatile game. You can easily blow a 5 run lead late in the game and if you replace some of your key sluggers, you are screwed.

I have tried many strategies. My real life favorite is using top pitching, speed, good defense and high OBP players, with a commensurate ballpark. This strategy SELDOM works in SOM 365. What seems to work is BULLYING your way into winning by overwhelming force / offense. The problem is this. You can have a team full of sluggers only for them to freeze up and do nothing. Your opposition will come in with a $2 million pitcher and he will throw a 2 hit shutout against your monster team. Then his bullshit weak tit players will blow you out. This happens ALL OF THE TIME especially with the CHOSEN FEW. You can jump from league to league and easily see who these guys are. They field the shittiest most improbable teams and WIN ALL OF THE TIME. That can happen once or twice but almost every league is mathematically IMPOSSIBLE. They are most probably getting help from SOM.

Take this strategy for what it is worth. I hate to be simplistic but, of course, it depends on how your team performs. I can see maybe one or two guys not kicking in but an entire team of sluggers not performing is improbable BUT, it happens ALL OF THE TIME. That's because there is a bias placed on the total number of runs your team per league can score.

I can promise you this. If you try to field a balanced team, you will get blown out. You will spend many hours putting a perfectly balanced team together only for that team to grossly under perform. Just like most things in life, BULLY your way into the playoffs. Kick the other team in the balls with over whelming offense. Here's the other thing. When you draft the top sluggers, the OTHER GUY CAN'T GET HIS HANDS ON THOSE PLAYERS! You end up controlling the entire league by drafting the top players.

Drafting Strategy. Don't try to draft your entire team position by position. Go for the best players in the league. Try to lock them up. They are worth their weight in gold. You can keep them, trade them, etc. You will yield a great amount of leverage by drafting the top players even if you don't plan on using them. This also forces the other guy to draft a team that he doesn't want. If you throw a good player back into Free Agency, he has to maneuver to get that guy and change his entire team, strategy, etc., to do so. Most guys here aren't that ambitious. They are lazy. The most lazy are the CHOSEN FEW who win with the most shitty teams. What ever rotten team they draft, they win with. I'm not being sarcastic. Again, read my post "Is the Game Rigged?"

Good Luck,

Dan

Good Luck,

Dan

honestiago

Re: WINNING STRATEGY

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 10:17 pm

Yes, whatever you do, avoid pitching/speed. :roll:
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1606690

Danchiacchia

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 pm

honestiago wrote:Yes, whatever you do, avoid pitching/speed. :roll:

Haha-is Jeff Sellers the most frequently drafted “I never intend to use this guy” starting pitcher? I have had him serve that purpose on a couple of different teams.

honestiago

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am

Danchiacchia wrote:
honestiago wrote:Yes, whatever you do, avoid pitching/speed. :roll:

Haha-is Jeff Sellers the most frequently drafted “I never intend to use this guy” starting pitcher? I have had him serve that purpose on a couple of different teams.

Only when I can’t get Luis Leal, my friend. :D

the ghost of roger maris

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 1:32 pm

winning strategy depends heavily on the type of league....
in a salary cap setting draft league vs keeper league vs keeper with a salary cap....

imho the managers who know how to build to their stadium and who eke out extra value at several positions do well....

some years you have an edge if you nab a player from the top cluster at positions: for example on year there were top 4 2B then a big drop ...other years the top 6 or 7 may be somewhat clustered.....
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Return to General Strategy