Team vs Player defensive replacement

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Valen

Team vs Player defensive replacement

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 12:50 am

Under team strategy there are 4 defensive replacements. I understand the rankings there and how to do double switches. This question is not about that.

Under the hitter preferences there is a column remove for defensive sub with lead. Checking that results in swap with just a one run lead.

What impact does that player setting have combined with my hitter preferences? For purposes of discussion my team has Josh Gibson at starting catcher. I am smart enough to do that. :lol: My backup is Pudge Rodriguez.

Scenarios

1) remove for defensive sub with lead checked for Gibson Pudge set as defensive replacement 1
2) remove for defensive sub with lead checked for Gibson Nobody listed in defensive replacements
3) Gibson NOT checked to remove for def sub with lead Pudge set as defensive replacement 1

Does it matter which of these combinations I use with respect to how and when HAL decides to make a change?

milleram

Re: Team vs Player defensive replacement

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 1:52 am

Usually it doesn't matter if you set him as a defensive replacement or not--especially in a catcher spot with only two catchers on the team--and for other positions it can have some effect with the double switch--but most often no effect if no double switch set, as Hal will normally put the best defensive player in.

Remove for defense is a hard switch though--so if your other catcher (or whatever position) has Pinch hit earlier or is injured--Hal will pull him anyway and put an out of position player there if there is no player left for that position.

Valen

Re: Team vs Player defensive replacement

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks. Played game for years and never gave that a thought. Been on an 18 month hiatus and looking at everything closer for what is new.

Return to General Strategy