Trouble with pitching

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

DOUGLASLYNCH

Trouble with pitching

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 2:11 pm

I have built 50+ teams and there seems to be a common thread. Usually my offense number at the end of the season are credible. Usually in the top half of the league. I've never, I don't believe, ever ended up with pitching stats in the top half. They are almost always at half or below. I try to build pitching that matches my park, and I often look at successful teams and who they have.
I think the problem may be in my pitcher prefs, and you can't see them on other teams even after the league is over, so there is no way I can check what successful teams do.

Any advice out there?

freeman

Re: Trouble with pitching

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 7:00 pm

A few ideas:

(1) If youre in a power park with no low bp singles like Citizens get SPs who give up none or few bp homeruns;
(2) if youre in a high singles, low bp park like Kaufman get guys who give up as few hits as possible
(3) Consider allocating more of your pitching to high-end relief. You need to get outs and guys who close to 4 million and up are better than most starting pitchers and even with the new rules I think you still get more bang for the buck by going with some expensive relief;
(4) OR get an expensive starting staff in a pitching park or even a power park if there are low bp singles and set do not relieve before F0 and go with minimal relief;
(5) Make sure your defense is good enough. Dean Carrano has some calculations for runs allowed by defense per 108 pas (just google Strat defensive ratings) for every position but catcher. Add those up (I tend to ignore catcher). I would say a negative total is excellent defense; 0-5 is good; 5-10 fair; and over 10 is getting to be awful. I would say 80-85% X chances in the game is excellent; 75-80% is good; 70-75 is fair; and below 70% is awful. If you think you have good defense see how you are doing with regard to Dean Carrano's numbers and X chance conversions in the game. What level of defense you want/need depends on the park and your pitching and endless experimentation. I have seen teams win with awful defense (in Coors recently!), great defense and everything inbetween. I lean towards having good defense, but I feel like this year does not favor defense as much as last year did so my teams havent been quite as good defensively. But for me I have tried bad defensive teams and they tend to blow up on me. But thats just me.

Well, hopefully thats a start.

DOUGLASLYNCH

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks for the info.

DOUGLASLYNCH

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Do you have the ratings books? If so, what ratings book do you use for ATG9 All?

freeman

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 10:46 pm

Definitely would buy the ratings guide for 2019. As for ATG9, I would go to diamonddope.com

coyote303

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 10:54 pm

(4) OR get an expensive starting staff in a pitching park or even a power park if there are low bp singles and set do not relieve before F0 and go with minimal relief;

Overall interesting advice. However, I would never use the setting don't relieve before F0. I only use only before F8 and then only with my best pitchers. I suppose you could go lower, but I don't like the F0 suggestion. Anyway, just another opinion for you to consider.

freeman

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 1:39 am

Yeah, that idea is a little controversial. And until recently I would have stuck to settings at least pretty similar to yours. But I have played ATG a little this year and it's controversial there too, but some do use it. You can get significantly more innings when you use F0 settings, you can go cheap on relief and Hal cant screw up your pitching as much. The downside of course is your starters might get pasted when left in below F8. It msy be a foolhardy strategy but pushing the envelope is how you separate yourself. But, yeah, it's just something to consider--an owner has to use his own judgment.

Here is a team where the SPs were all set at F0 and I think it has worked for that particular team:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1597369

Return to General Strategy