Does mop up setting restrict other use?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

tdkearns

Does mop up setting restrict other use?

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am

Extra inning game. Hal brings in Bunning with F0 rating to pitch the 10th. Jim Hardin (sp/rating) is rested in bullpen and is not set to start in either the per game setting or the rotation. But Hardin is listed as “mop up”. Bunning gets shelled and my team loses. The mop up setting should not affect this decision but maybe it does? Any experience with this issue?
Did hal think that Bunning with a F0 would be better than a rested Hardin? 60’s mystery league.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/450606/233

paul8210

Re: Does mop up setting restrict other use?

PostThu Oct 01, 2020 2:20 pm

I've complained to SOM about this many times. A rested starter/reliever in extra innings seems to always be ignored. I'd say
it's more of a case of Hardin not being assigned the "Tied and Late" or "Tied and ninth" role. You would have had the same frustrating issue had he been assigned no roles. Here's my letter to SOM from Feburary 2019 complaining about the same situation. It would be nice if they gave us a setting called "Use this rested guy instead of bringing in an FO who pitched yesterday or the day before".
:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,
A seldom used starter/reliever pitcher, Clyde Wright, is available in extra innings, but, HAL brings in a fatigued starter, instead. The seldom used pitcher was not assigned a role, but, should still be given preference over a guy who started the previous game.

This pitcher was not scheduled for future starts, nor, was he part of a default rotation. Same thing happened to my opponent. He had Woody Fryman available, but, he was not used, so, the last inning became a battle of F0 pitchers.

mburatti76

Re: Does mop up setting restrict other use?

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 am

I always thought it would be nice if they added a bullpen role called "Extra Innings". I personally don't like using the Tied and 9th+ roll with a marginal extra starter. If you're using this roll with an eye towards extra innings, it opens the door for HAL to bring in a lesser pitcher in the 9th when you more than likely have better relievers available, the R1 variety cards that are much better than the extra SP. I often assign my Closer to the Tied and Late roll hoping he can hold things pat and maybe steal the game late.

However, once you get into extra innings, it feels kind of like a crap shoot and I'd rather have a guy with more endurance as it's not unusual to go several innings beyond the 9th. This would be a situation where I wouldn't mind using that extra starter with more endurance. I would probably assign the mop up guy to the Extra innings role and hope for the best.

Return to General Strategy