Play by play question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

robertsteinerman

Play by play question

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 am

In the 8th inning in my tie game jose iglasis pinch hit for me. He rolled a 1-6 against a righty pitcher. On his card it says double 1-11 or single 12-20. But in the play by play it said ground out. Can someone explain this to me.
Thanks
This was to lead off the inning

coyote303

Re: Play by play question

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am

My guess is the computer defense was "guarding the lines." This takes away some doubles but gives up more singles.

Guarding the lines is an (IMHO very stupid) optional rule in SOM Windows game. However, I cannot find any documentation that SOM 365 uses this optional rule.

robertsteinerman

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 am

coyote303 wrote:My guess is the computer defense was "guarding the lines." This takes away some doubles but gives up more singles.

Guarding the lines is an (IMHO very stupid) optional rule in SOM Windows game. However, I cannot find any documentation that SOM 365 uses this optional rule.

That is weird. I couldnt find any setting in 365 and couldnt remember another time that occurred. What does guard the lines entail?

coyote303

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 12:47 pm

...What does guard the lines entail?

In game terms playing the computer version, you simply choose this late-inning option. What it reflects is the first and third baseman playing closer to the foul lines, hoping to cut off potential doubles. The disadvantage is it makes singles more likely. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is much more effective at preventing doubles in the game than in real life. I think it's a horrible rule.

I am also only guessing this is what happened. You could email SOM support. I'm curious what they would have to say.

Return to General Strategy