Double Line up Switch?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

JGoodrich

Double Line up Switch?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 10:32 am

I failed last night to make changes that would allow for double switch to my lineup for 2019 version.

Vs Left Hand Pitcher, I had started Daniel Robertson (R) at 3B and Brian Anderson (R) in RF. Once a Right Handed pitcher came into the game and Daniel Robertson (R) came to abat, I wanted Nick Markakis (L) to come into abat for Robertson and then move to RF and for Brian Anderson to move to 3B.

I had listed Nick Markakis as a Pinch Hitter for Right Handed Pitchers. I had clicked the box on Daniel Robertson for him to not bat against Right Handed Pitchers. I had listed Nick Markakis as backup for Brian Anderson in RF and Brian Anderson as backup for Daniel Robertson at 3B.

Daniel Robertson was never removed from the game after Clayton Kershaw left handed starter was removed for Josh James right handed pitcher came in. Daniel was left in the game to hit twice against him.

Same scenario, happened in the next game where left handed started was removed and Robertson was left to bat twice against right handed relievers.

I am not sure what else to change in the settings to make the double switch. Any ideas?

paul8210

Re: Double Line up Switch?

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:25 pm

JGoodrich wrote:I failed last night to make changes that would allow for double switch to my lineup for 2019 version.

Vs Left Hand Pitcher, I had started Daniel Robertson (R) at 3B and Brian Anderson (R) in RF. Once a Right Handed pitcher came into the game and Daniel Robertson (R) came to abat, I wanted Nick Markakis (L) to come into abat for Robertson and then move to RF and for Brian Anderson to move to 3B.

I had listed Nick Markakis as a Pinch Hitter for Right Handed Pitchers. I had clicked the box on Daniel Robertson for him to not bat against Right Handed Pitchers. I had listed Nick Markakis as backup for Brian Anderson in RF and Brian Anderson as backup for Daniel Robertson at 3B.

Daniel Robertson was never removed from the game after Clayton Kershaw left handed starter was removed for Josh James right handed pitcher came in. Daniel was left in the game to hit twice against him.

Same scenario, happened in the next game where left handed started was removed and Robertson was left to bat twice against right handed relievers.

I am not sure what else to change in the settings to make the double switch. Any ideas?

1)The platoon PH setting of the Set Your Lineup section is where you select the platoon player, Markakis, to bat for Daniel Robertson. No other setting will specifically cause Markakis to bat for Robertson.

2)Clicking the box for Robertson to not bat against right-handed pitchers only comes into play for players currently on the bench; it does not impact in-play decisions. In your case Robertson was in the game, not on the bench at the time of the decision point.

3)Double-switches are for defensive purposes and they are handled in the Team Strategy section, Defensive subs. Double switches may or may not happen, depending on if your team is in the lead. More information on how to cause a defensive double switch is viewable by clicking help in the right hand corner of the section.

4)Backup settings in your lineup are considered by the software before the game has started, in-play decisions are not impacted by backup settings. For example, if Jones is injured in the 4th inning of the game, Smith will not necessarily replace him in the next inning even if Smith is his backup.

JGoodrich

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Thanks Paul.

Where I get stuck still is I have Robertson at 3B and Anderson in RF (but 3B is main position) and I am trying to bring in Markakis to bat for Robertson when a right handed reliever enters the game plus move Markakis to RF and for Anderson to move to 3B.

When I try to update Platoon PH for Roberson he is at 3B and Markakis does not show up in the list to choose since he is not eligible for 3B (but I am trying to actually have him come into RF). Does
not seem like a way to make happen.

Thanks.

milleram

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm

The AI isn't very good (read logical) at double switches---especially with noDH teams---Platoon PH has to be at same position or it will not work, and HAL can't make a double switch that makes much sense after a PH for the pitcher 99% of the time either. If you have a pitcher set for remove after 6 (or7) and pitcher is due up in bottom of 6th (7th)--HAL will let him hit and then the AI sees in top of inning to remove him--so some programming holes are there--and it effects noDH leagues more the DH leagues.

Return to General Strategy