Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Palmtana

New Managers - Look here

PostSat May 23, 2020 1:27 am

These are MARCPELLITIER’s (lightly edited) guidelines for a successful team:

1) OBP before SLG

#2 Strat rule- WHIP before ERA.

#3 strat rule-Strengthen your middle defense.

#4 strat rule- Bring your bullpen stopper when the game is tight---(especially when the game is tied, contrary to unwritten baseball rule #24).

#5 strat rule- Avoid mixing *SP and non *SP, especially when you have at least 2 *SP.

#6 strat rule- Favor a leadoff a)with on-base b) with a stealing star---but 3 - OBP before speed at leadoff.

#7 strat rule- Avoid a second hitter with lots of gbA.

#8 strat rule- Avoid a fifth hitter with a high negative clutch.

#9 strat rule- Steal when expected success is higher than 70%.

#10 strat rule- Never bunt in the first seven innings (except for pitchers with 1w-3w batting ability).

#11 - Zero BP homers on pitcher's card in hitter's park

#12 - No more than one 4 in the OF.

*Don't overspend on your bench. Carry 23-25 players and have 6 of them cost less than .75

* Many players like try to spend about $50 million of salary on hitters, the other $30 million on pitchers.

Of the $50 million on hitters, concentrate as much of that on your 9 starters as possible (about 90-95%).
Seldom do you want to spend more than $500,000 on a reserve. The only possible exception being if one of your starters is more injury prone than normal.

* As mentioned above, try to keep an even balance between lefties and righties in your lineup. Also, pay attention to how hitters fare against either left or right handed pitching. Generally you will see a bit more right handed than lefthanded pitching, so you may want to weigh slightly more against righties. Check the pitching on the other teams in your division however, as you will play these teams the most. This may lead you to alter this approach some.

* Most important rule of all, do not "dump" players during the season. You can exchange players on your roster for players in the "Free Agent" pool during the season, but every time you do, it cost you 20% of the salary of the player you are dropping. Many "rookies" (myself included) start out slowly, then begin to drop players in an effort to improve, only to find that quickly they are playing with a $50 or $60 million payroll instead of $80 million. These $50 million teams are destined for last place.

* As mentioned in another thread, get a guy with a high, over .400 if possible, OBP to lead off.

* One big mistake you made was to mix up *SP and non -*SP. *SP like Morris can pitch every 4 games, and their price tags are adjusted in the prevision that they will pitch 40 games……Conclusion: you better not mix. If you mix, then spend a lot on *SP, and concentrate on cheapy non *SPs for the rest of the pitching squad.

*The golden rule of Strat: spend for the relievers you need. What I mean is that, before the season start, you have to figure out how many innings you'd like to have from your relievers, and spend the money that is appropriate for what you expect. You know that you will need about 1500 innings from your pitching staff. How much will your relief have???

ikedawg77

Re: New Managers - Look here

PostSat May 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Where do I find what the batter's "clutch" is?

coyote303

PostSat May 30, 2020 2:11 pm

ikedawg77 wrote:Where do I find what the batter's "clutch" is?

Look for the $ symbols on his card. A $ in front of a single is bad--negative clutch. A $ in front of an out is good--positive clutch. With two outs and runners on second and/or third base (or loaded), the dollar sign ($) flips the result, turning singles into outs and outs into singles.

If you want figure the hitter's clutch rating, you need to count up the $ chances:

2,12 = 1 chance
3,11 = 2 chances
4,10 = 3 chances
5,9 = 4 chances
6,8 = 5 chances
7 = 6 chances

However, knowing the hitter's exact clutch rating isn't really that important. You can get an idea how good or bad he is clutch-wise with a quick glance at his card.

ikedawg77

PostSat May 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Thank you, I had no idea. What do the other symbols do? the #, the >, the **, and such? There must be a place where I can look this stuff up myself, but thank you for your help, your explanation makes it more understandable.

jjii66

STEVEPONEDAL

PostSun May 31, 2020 1:24 pm

Another great guide from the SOM vets. Could you also address when to check the box, IBB less box? What is the strategic advantage of checking that box.Thanks

jgmadigan

PostSun May 31, 2020 7:51 pm

On the manager strategy page, what is the general consensus on what inning do you bring the infield in? The standard game default is 3rd inning. Does it vary depending on whether it's a DH or non DH league?

Palmtana

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 11:07 pm

STEVEPONEDAL wrote:Another great guide from the SOM vets. Could you also address when to check the box, IBB less box? What is the strategic advantage of checking that box.Thanks

jgmadigan wrote:On the manager strategy page, what is the general consensus on what inning do you bring the infield in? The standard game default is 3rd inning. Does it vary depending on whether it's a DH or non DH league?

See the Strategy Forum/Newbie Advice Thread stickied at the top of this forum for some advice.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

$

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 6:57 am

Ive looked at 10 of the greatest hitters ATG and have not seen a single $ symble on an "out" result on any card..cant believe how many $ are on people like George Foster

freeman

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 1:46 pm

For the most part...I ignore clutch. I might consider it a little for my #5 hitter. You get maybe 20-30 rolls in a season affected by clutch? So once every 5-8 games clutch rating has an impact? For an individuaI player it's like once every 30 games. I dont see putting too much emphasis on it.
Next

Return to General Strategy