Question and advice about pitchers

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

kjmiles70

Question and advice about pitchers

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:26 pm

If you have a lefty or righty pitcher who has an opposite 9, for example Blake Snell is a lefty with a 9R, is that pitcher super prone to lefty hitters? It would seem like he'd be really good against both because he's a lefty anyway. I read advice to pick pitchers who are lefties who suppress home runs to righties and then pick a ballpark accordingly (I chose Progressive). Or is it just better to have close to neutral pitchers?
KJ

jjii66

Re: Question and advice about pitchers

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Snell is super-duper prone to lefty hitters. Look at the bottom of his card, the part with the color graph or whatever you want to call it. Vs. L you'll see a bunch of singles and doubles, along with some homers. But vs. R it looks much better. Conventional wisdom might tell you that a LH pitcher should be good against lefty hitters, but it's not always the case... and Snell is a perfect example of that.

kjmiles70

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks for the reply jjii66. So as I suspected, Strat does not take into account conventional baseball wisdom that lefty/lefty is a good matchup. Thanks for the tip about the graph. I'll take a look!
KJ

tdkearns

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:15 pm

But keep in mind that since the roll is 50/50 pitchers and hitters cards, a lefty hitter who is weak against lefty pitchers will have the roll land on his weak side of his card half the time. So snell May be bad against lefties but the lefty hitter may get himself out anyway.

kjmiles70

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am

Excellent point tdkearns. OK, so that's my next question. I did start Snell (LHP/9R) and it worked out (he allowed 3 runs in 6 and beat Gerrit Cole) even though I never checked the RH hitters on the other team and today found that many of them are like 1L or 2L. No one was particularly overbalanced - two hitters were 3L. One was Harper, who is a lefty with a 3L. He luckily didn't hurt me with just 2 singles and a walk, but could have.
Here's my question. I'm creating an alternate LHSP lineup against a friend of mine tonight who has Marco Gonzales starting. He's a 5R lefty. So in this case do I try to stack my lineup with LHs who are lefty balanced? I'm still trying to figure out the whole strategy of Strat with this. Obviously I have RHs who hit lefties better, but I also have a few lefties who are lefty balanced (Kiermaier, Reddick) and some RHs who are neutral or SHs who are not particularly overbalanced. Do I avoid RHs as much as possible in this situation, but also avoid LHs who are farther overbalanced against RHPs like Matt Olson (4R) and Mitch Moreland (5R) in favor of a Kole Calhoun who is 1R? The lineup I set is: Kiermaier L/2L, Calhoun L/1R, Reddick L/3L, Gleyber Torres R/E, Olson L/4R (Moreland is my other 1B), Roberto Perez R/2L (my other catcher is Cervelli who is 3R), Schoop R/3L, Jose Ramirez S/E, Lorenzo Cain R/E. On the bench I have Adalberto Mondesi (S/2R), Candelario (S/1R), Pederson (L/5R), Cervelli and Moreland. Who "wins" when you have a more dominant LH starter against RH hitters and a lineup of RH hitters who hit LHPs better?
Thanks in advance!
KJ

tdkearns

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 pm

A 5R lefty is quite unbalanced so by all means start lefty hitters who are balanced. But if you have a big Righty hitter who is a lefty basher, the 50% roll will still land on his card half the time. I’m sure the math wizzes can tell you some formula but I just look at the bar charts.

STEVEPONEDAL

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 12:18 am

I shoot for balanced starting pitchers. I try for more extreme relief pitchers.

Return to General Strategy