How to set rotation for post season

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Tigerpiper

How to set rotation for post season

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Ok, I think I figured this out- once getting owned in the playoffs, and once just getting lucky.

If you have a * as your number 1, he will pitch in game 161, then will have three off days (162, offday 1, offday 2) and will be good to go as starter on day 1 of the playoffs. With no injuries, this should be what happens with no additional benching needed.

If you have a non-* as a starter, you'll want to rest him unless his last start is game 160 or earlier.

If you are in position to rest your ace, you need to be prepared with a fillin starter. So either have a 5th non-* guy if you have an all * rotation, or a sixth if you have a non * rotation. You need to be prepared on this as you can't pickup a new player after a certain game.

Anyway, I learned this the hard way, so thought this might help.

coyote303

Re: How to set rotation for post season

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 2:16 am

This is why it's always nice to have your playoff position clinched going into the final series. Otherwise, you may need to start your ace in the last series, playoffs be damned.

freeman

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 6:58 pm

I really cant believe I havent paid much attention to this before. Probably helps explain my mediocre (poor!) play-off record. It strikes me rather than trying to deal with at the end of the season...you're better off taking care of it at the start. If you have a five man rotation...simply set your real #1 and real #2 as your #3 and #4. So they would pitch in games 158 and 159.

I actually, don't think this is an issue for a four man rotation as your #1 and #2 would pitch in games 161 and 162 and with two days before the series are ready for games 1 and 2.

So really in a five man rotation you are stuck starting your #3 in game one and #1 and #2 in games 2 and 3. And in a six or seven game series that could have a significant impact. And if you advance it could negatively impact the next series as well. There are so many variables it's hard (for me at least) to assess the average impact on the next series.

coyote303

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 pm

freeman wrote:I really cant believe I havent paid much attention to this before. Probably helps explain my mediocre (poor!) play-off record. It strikes me rather than trying to deal with at the end of the season...you're better off taking care of it at the start. If you have a five man rotation...simply set your real #1 and real #2 as your #3 and #4. So they would pitch in games 158 and 159.

I actually, don't think this is an issue for a four man rotation as your #1 and #2 would pitch in games 161 and 162 and with two days before the series are ready for games 1 and 2.

So really in a five man rotation you are stuck starting your #3 in game one and #1 and #2 in games 2 and 3. And in a six or seven game series that could have a significant impact. And if you advance it could negatively impact the next series as well. There are so many variables it's hard (for me at least) to assess the average impact on the next series.

The problem with strategy is your two best starters will only start 30 games instead of 31 games during the season. This could cost you getting into the playoffs in a close race.

tmfw30

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 5:01 pm

coyote303 wrote:
The problem with strategy is your two best starters will only start 30 games instead of 31 games during the season. This could cost you getting into the playoffs in a close race.

Not knowing the math behind it, I generally agree with this statement.

When I'm using a 5-man rotation (and I have 6th or 7th starters), when it comes to the final series I weigh 1. the need to make the playoffs and 2. the need to establish home field. If I've got the playoffs clinched but I still need to win to guarantee home field against my playoff opponents, I go for the regular season wins under the assumption that having home field in the playoffs is better than having my ideal rotation. If I have home field and the playoff spot sealed, or if winning out won't get me home field anyway, I rest my guys and try to set up the optimal postseason rotation (also basing this upon my probable first round opponent).

As a tangent to this - many managers rest their valuable but injury-prone position players for the final series if the postseason is clinched. I don't do this, mostly because the odds of getting an injury are far lower than the odds of me royally screwing myself over by forgetting to change my lineup back, but if I did do this I would use the same criteria I use for resting pitchers. -matt

freeman

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Good point about losing two starts from your top pitchers might cost you a play-off spot. Your other option is do the following in a five man rotation:

Game 151 (#6 in place of #1 starter)
154 #1
155 #4
156 #5
159 #1
160 #2
161 #4
162 #5

coyote303

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 2:57 pm

freeman wrote:Good point about losing two starts from your top pitchers might cost you a play-off spot. Your other option is do the following in a five man rotation:

Game 151 (#6 in place of #1 starter)
154 #1
155 #4
156 #5
159 #1
160 #2
161 #4
162 #5

That's an interesting compromise. You still give up a start for each of your two best pitchers (30 total starts instead of 31 for the year), but you don't commit to giving up those starts until late in the season. So, if you look like a lock or near lock for the playoffs, you can get your starters ready to start games 1 and 2 of the playoffs.

Return to General Strategy