365 Strategy Question...

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

jack202

365 Strategy Question...

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 am

Is there any advantage when playing the baseball 365 leagues , of using just four starters with the *, or using 5 starters that can start or relief. I would think using the four starters* , that you can save a little salary on the fifth starter that you still have to pick. Example , Pick a minimally priced starter/reliever for the 5th spot and not use him to start except strickly in relief or mop up since you have the four starters* in place..... and use the extra money for a another big bat or better relief pitcher that will be used daily. I see most players use the 5 starters and or starter/reliever when they really don't have too. Any advice or better strategy to set a rotation up?

Jack

coyote303

Re: 365 Strategy Question...

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Almost always, it's best to go with either four *-starters or five non*-starters. A non*-starter's cost is based on having fewer starts during the season. So, a $5 million non*-starter should have a better card than a $5 million *-starter.

Some managers going with four good *-starters will select a 500k pure starter as their required fifth starter, knowing he will rarely, if ever, pitch. (Personally, I pick a low-cost starter/reliever who can serve as a mop-up guy.)

In the leagues I play in (mystery leagues), most people go with four *-starters. I don't always do this, but I have had some success going with five non*-starters. I gamble nobody else is going in this direction and therefore select my starters lower in my draft list. It's also backfired once or twice.

The one thing you should never do is draft a pricey *-starter or two and then go with a 5-man rotation. You are paying for forty starts, and a 5-man rotation will limit your *-starters to 32 starts.

andycummings65

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Well, you can still get the max number of starts out of 1 or 2 high dollar SP*s and 3-4 non * guys. If you list the SP* in the #1 spot in rotation, he’ll still pitch every 4th day.

coyote303

PostWed Dec 18, 2019 8:49 pm

andycummings65 wrote:Well, you can still get the max number of starts out of 1 or 2 high dollar SP*s and 3-4 non * guys. If you list the SP* in the #1 spot in rotation, he’ll still pitch every 4th day.

Yes, this will work as long as you're not spending big on your #3, #4, and #5 starters.

Return to General Strategy