Basic Board Game Suggesetions.....

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

cam13

Basic Board Game Suggesetions.....

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 pm

I was starting a home league up soon for "Basic Play" Strat-o-Matic Baseball. I do not want to use any advanced rules or super advanced rules. Wanting just a quicker pace league with not a lot of slowdowns with game play. This will be mostly for beginners so I need to make it fun but simple. We are using all era cards too. 1910 to 2018. Have around 60 teams. I want to make it more realistic without using advanced rules. Some thoughts I had were.....Mostly the pitchers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Pitching.) * (using the realistic era of today 2019)

1. No true relief pitcher cannot pitch more than 2 innings. & can only pitch 2 times in a 3 game series. 1 day of rest.
2. A starting pitcher must be taken out of the game when giving up 7 runs. ( Maybe 6 ?)
3. A starting pitcher can stay in as long as he wants if he only gives up 2 runs or less. ( but not exceed 9 innings)

I need suggestions if a starting pitcher that gives up 3 to 6 runs....and how many innings can he pitch to be realistic....or just use the 3 posted rules above is all?

I have a number of 20 roster teams( old timer teams) that only have the short roster so that is why I have the 2 inning rule instead of 1 inning for reliefers.

The reason I want to set a few pitching rules in is because...I knew a few friends that had a similar league with no rules for realistic basic play...….there was a few guys who started a starting pitcher for 1 inning, and used a lights out closer for 8 innings of the rest of the game....not a good way to play.

Not sure I need to have any offensive realistic rules...seems to be mostly pitching tweeks to make it realistic for Basic Play. Any suggestions? BH

milleram

Re: Basic Board Game Suggesetions.....

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:01 am

If you want to play the Board game version with dice and cards--One of the best ways to me is use basic side of the card, but with advanced fielding, stealing etc if the cards have those ratings, (not super advanced) if the cards had no advanced ratings there was a conversion-----there were a bunch of relief pitchers that routinely went 3 or 4 innings in the 50s to the 70's -- Wilhelm is the first that comes to my mind--a lot of saves were the 3 inning variety back then (no matter how big the lead if you pitched three innings to close a game it was a save)

There was a card set called the nameless player set which had a couple extra cards printed with info for converting basic stealing and fielding to equivalent advanced ratings -- especially you want to use advanced stealing--the basic rules for stealing are lacking greatly.

As far as pitching endurance your rules seem OK other than the 2 inning reliver--any reliver that pitched over 81 innings would get at least 3 innings endurance to me, over 120 innings 4.

bh327

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 am

Thanks Milleram,

Yes I do have the "nameless" player set which will help the 20 team rosters. Good suggestions on the advanced fielding and stealing too. I know what your saying about the pitchers back in the day that went 3-4 innings almost all season in relief. I was trying to get a friendly divided between back in the day and todays game. Thanks. Great points you made and tips I could use.

Terry101

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Good rule for board play:

A starting pitcher must complete 5 innings unless he gives up:
a. three runs in one inning or
b. four runs total

Relievers may not pitch in more than 2 consecutive games
R-1 must rest 1 game each time he pitches 1 and 1/3 or more full inning
R-2 must rest 1 game for each time each time he pitches 2 to 3 innings- rest 2 games for 3 or more innings

bh327

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Terry

Return to General Strategy