SP* Fatigue and Default Rotation

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

jonhill

SP* Fatigue and Default Rotation

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 am

Hello,

I am a new player. I am in two different leagues. In both, I drafted several SP* pitchers who can pitch on 3 days rest. I noticed that the highest ranked pitcher in my default rotation who has enough rest will be used for each game.

I want to know if pitching on 3 days rest affects the pitchers fatigue. In real life, pitchers tend to be less effective for the most part on 3 days rest, and multiple starts on 3 days rest can lower a pitchers effectiveness. Does SOM take this into account? If not, drafting 4 good starters who can pitch on 3 days rest and have injury rating 0 or 1 could let you go most of the year with a 4 man rotation, keeping one additional low cost starter for the occasional injury.

Palmtana

Re: SP* Fatigue and Default Rotation

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Welcome to the game Jon. Your *SP's will not be fatigued on 3 days rest. That's the way SOM has set up that aspect of the game. For your 5th SP just choose a 50 cent guy. Saves you some money. If one of your SP's gets injured (which rarely happens) the AI will have one of your RP's start for him.

jonhill

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Palmtana wrote:Welcome to the game Jon. Your *SP's will not be fatigued on 3 days rest. That's the way SOM has set up that aspect of the game. For your 5th SP just choose a 50 cent guy. Saves you some money. If one of your SP's gets injured (which rarely happens) the AI will have one of your RP's start for him.

Thanks for the reply. I wish I knew that before I spent a lot on my 5th starter in both leagues. I will keep that in mind for the future. I think SOM online should change that, as it is not realistic to have a pitcher pitch every 4th day all season and not suffer any fatigue.

milleram

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 1:12 am

If your * rated SP has more than 200 innings pitched (200.1) he can only be injured for 3 games max so will never miss a start--the ones at 200 IP or below can be injured for 15 games (but it doesn't happen that often).

It is wise to go with a .5M 5th starter money wise. (I usually take one that isn't rated to relieve so the AI won't use him unless an long extra inning game requires it)--another good fifth starter option may be a cheaper 1M or below hard lefty or righty--if you have teams in the league vulnerable to a hard lefty or righty and you can spot start them by assigning them per game.

If you don't want your starters going in rotation by salary--then set your rotation however you want it in default rotation--also you don't have to fill the default rotation either you can put just one--or 2-3 etc--which can help sometimes when you have a mix of 4 game and 5 game starters.

Palmtana

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 am

jonhill wrote:I wish I knew that before I spent a lot on my 5th starter in both leagues.

Generally speaking, one shoudn't drop players after the league has started play because you are then playing with a diminished roster value. In your case, go ahead and drop your overpriced 5th SP and beef up your team elsewhere. Don't trade out any of your expensive guys because of the revenue hit. RP's or cheaper position players would be the guys to move.

jonhill

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is another question. The next time I enter a league, I will plan to try to auto-draft 4 SP* pitchers. If one of my selections is not available, and I get a different starter, will it try to give me a SP*, or just any similar SP? If I get an SP and not an SP*, that would mess up my 4 man rotation. In the 2017 league that I am in now, all the SP* pitchers went in the draft, so if I had tried to get 4 SP*s and wound up with 3 SP* and one SP, I would be in trouble.

milleram

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 am

You can get a SP that is not an * rated guy--in fact you will get the next best salaried SP that no one else put on their draft list.

If you pick a pitcher rated for starting and relieving you WILL get a SP/RP for him (again the next one down)

I don't like that SP/RP logic myself, so I usually avoid picking a high priced SP/RP if he is a player a lot of guys will try to draft--because if you miss you get a bad replacement too often.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 am

jonhill wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is another question. The next time I enter a league, I will plan to try to auto-draft 4 SP* pitchers. If one of my selections is not available, and I get a different starter, will it try to give me a SP*, or just any similar SP? If I get an SP and not an SP*, that would mess up my 4 man rotation. In the 2017 league that I am in now, all the SP* pitchers went in the draft, so if I had tried to get 4 SP*s and wound up with 3 SP* and one SP, I would be in trouble.

Getting a non- SP* shouldn't be problem. You can usually arrange a trade of a non-SP* for a SP* during the pre-waiver period with someone who wants a 5 man rotation.

The number of SP* has been dropping every year. It is getting hard to get a decent 4 man rotation,

Return to General Strategy