Tips to Maximize Closer Usage?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

zcn

Tips to Maximize Closer Usage?

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 pm

I recently picked up a closer with a card far better than any of my (pretty mediocre) relievers. Other than maximizing closer usage on strategy page, what can I do to get him more innings?
Thanks!
Last edited by zcn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

zcn

Re: Tips to Maximize Closer Usage

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Also, one follow-up question about pitchers: if one of my RP has a +9 hold rating, how much impact does that have and how does it lower his value?
Thanks again!

andycummings65

Re: Tips to Maximize Closer Usage?

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 11:24 am

Ok, first, make sure you understand what Maximize Closer means. It means that HAL will hold that RP out, only using him in "Save" situations. So he won't pitch much, just when he has opportunity to earn a Save.

However, by your question, I think you mean, "How can I get the MOST out of this RP?"
If THAT is the case, then, first, DON'T use the Maximize Closer setting. Then, on the Pitcher Prefs page, set that guy as Closer, Setup, and maybe Middle Man (depending on his Endurance Rating), also can set him as Behind and Late, Tied and Late, etc. That way, HAL will look to use him in as many roles as possible.

The +9 HOLD rating means, if you don't have a Catcher with a good arm, base stealers are going to be pretty successful against your pitcher.

zcn

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 am

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

coyote303

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 pm

andycummings65 wrote:...

The +9 HOLD rating means, if you don't have a Catcher with a good arm, base stealers are going to be pretty successful against your pitcher.

Great advice, as usual, from Andy. However, even a great catcher won't help a pitcher with a +9 hold rating since plus-or-minus five is the most a steal chance can be affected by the pitcher's and catcher's ratings. In other words, +5 will be the net chance to steal no matter who is catching with a +9 pitcher (unless there's a -5 catcher out there!).

milleram

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 am

If you want a high priced closer to pitch a lot---don't set him as closer--use regular closer rules and use him as setup and/or middleman, tied, late etc.

If you have only one cheaper closer you can set that guy as closer, or if you have several 0,1, or 2 closers just don't set a closer at all--The AI will pick the best usually (though PH can force a bad matchup due to the must pitch to one hitter rule, though the AI does look at the bench when picking a closer)

One thing to bear in mind is a pitcher will start to tire 2 innings beyond his rating (I'm not positive of this, just my observations over the years)--so a one inning rated reliever will start to tire on the 10th batter he faces even if he set down nine in a row--a two inning reliever can get another 3 outs and so on. A one inning reliever coming in as middleman probably won't make it to the end of the game, but a 2 inning often can.

tcochran

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 pm

You can also do something similar with a non-closer. My favorite example is Raul Valdes in 2012. Here's one where he won the Cy Young Award with an 18-3 record in 226 innings, including 11 saves:
http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1109349

the ghost of roger maris

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 6:22 pm

milleram wrote:If you want a high priced closer to pitch a lot---don't set him as closer--use regular closer rules and use him as setup and/or middleman, tied, late etc.

If you have only one cheaper closer you can set that guy as closer, or if you have several 0,1, or 2 closers just don't set a closer at all--The AI will pick the best usually (though PH can force a bad matchup due to the must pitch to one hitter rule, though the AI does look at the bench when picking a closer)

One thing to bear in mind is a pitcher will start to tire 2 innings beyond his rating (I'm not positive of this, just my observations over the years)--so a one inning rated reliever will start to tire on the 10th batter he faces even if he set down nine in a row--a two inning reliever can get another 3 outs and so on. A one inning reliever coming in as middleman probably won't make it to the end of the game, but a 2 inning often can.

set the fatigue rate at f4 pr f5 for the true stud...i.e. Jansen and A Miller are better relievers even when fatigued than Giles.
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Return to General Strategy