50/50 pitchers card - are good pitchers devalued?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

STEVE F

Re: 50/50 pitchers card - are good pitchers devalued?

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 3:14 pm

I believe an extreme case, like the 2003 Eric Gagne, would be.

ggyuppie

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 1:40 pm

This is a great discussion. I have a tangential question.

Looking at the Daily game right now...we're doing a couple franchise based leagues. I see that the Red Sox fielders have poor defensive range ratings, acutely so across the infield. I'm thinking as a group, they're meaningfully below average. Since x chances are 30% of the pitcher's card, does this mean that a pitcher who played on a lousy defensive team will have his card adjusted to the better, to compensate for all the extra hits which will come through x chances?

milleram

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm not sure about Daily (and not certain about 20xx either), but I think that is the case, they are also adjusted to the ballpark HR and Singles as well as the fielding.

Look at a pair of Starting Pitchers that both gave up roughly one hit per inning and similar whips (Walks make a difference too), one in a high singles park, and then one in a low singles park--the one in the high singles park usually has less hits on the card (but the extra BP singles he will give up make the difference up)

There was a discussion of pricing in 20xx a couple of years ago--seems the Players are priced according to the park that fits them best in on-line game--not their home park.

Daily is a different beast, especially early in the actual MLB season---cards don't take on the actual stats until quite a lot of PA or innings pitched are accumulated--at the beginning of a season they are projected from averages (and who knows with rookies)--anyone with a Braves franchise would never get the early hitting they have managed so far--it will be late May or June before those cards catch up unless Strat changed they way the cards are updated since last year.
Previous

Return to General Strategy