Playing a 3 in CF

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

wavygravy2k

Playing a 3 in CF

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm

I've played Strat-O-matic Onine since it came out in 2001 and seem to remember always reading that it's recommend to have a 2 or better in CF. I'm considering moving 70's Willie Crawford to CF so I can play .336 hitter Rennie Stennett to LF.

I've got a pretty interesting team this time around. I have about four lefty batters who can hold their own both ways. The team is top in the league in pitching but it's been a challenge to find decent hitting with good mystery years.

Jerlins

Re: Playing a 3 in CF

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Recommended, yes. Set in stone? Well, I won both seasons of my keeper league in 2016 with a 3 at SS (a bigger taboo)(Seager), so it's possible.

the ghost of roger maris

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am

You are correct in taking in to account the RunsCreated-Runs allowed at two positions to assess the move....if the move is a net gain do it a 3 costs more runs than a 2 etc and left field has fewer chances than cf...
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

timklucinec

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am

I remember awhile back that one of the veterans said that you could play a 3 at CF with a low errors below 4 that it makes the CF a 2 range. You also take in account of the Batting Stats. Sometimes that's what available in the Draft in some Keeper leagues, especially in larger keeper leagues.

On another note, there is an Article in the SOM Fan Forum about ranking your Starting Pitching Rotation. What might be your #3 Starter in a 12 or 16 Team league may be a #1 Starter in a 20 or 24 Team League. There is also a Spread Sheet reflecting these Rankings for all pitchers over a 100 innings. They even rank Pitchers having a 6th Starter Rotation.
Check it out, very helpful. There is also Articles on who to draft in various positions & when; who the TOP players at each position and why. This info can give you an edge in your league & increase your wins.

tim k

tof78

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 am

I'd be happy to read this article in Starting Pitching Rotation.
But I can't find it.
Do you have a link?
I even do not find the SOM Fan forum
Thanks

the ghost of roger maris

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 pm

tof78 wrote:I'd be happy to read this article in Starting Pitching Rotation.
But I can't find it.
Do you have a link?
I even do not find the SOM Fan forum
Thanks

http://www.somworld.com/ you have to ante up $$$ for the site I enjoy it and learned a lot
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Return to General Strategy