Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Chris Franco

Team Strategy/infield In Inning?

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Under Team Strategy...
Infield In ...

Any strategy here?
What have you discovered to be the best inning to set that to?

lferenti123

Re: Team Strategy/infield In Inning?

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Infield in cuts off some runs at the plate on certain ground balls. On the flip side, infield in increases the batters chance for a hit and can lead to big innings. There’s a chart for that but I don’t have the link handy.

I set the infield in inning based on the construction of my team. If my roster & ballpark heavily favors pitching, I set it for the 3rd inning. Otherwise, I use the 5th inning. Personally I’d like to see more options, especially with power teams in hitter parks. With those teams I’d prefer to wait until the 7th or 8th inning to bring the infield in.

Good luck and Merry Christmas to all...

J-Pav

Re: Team Strategy/infield In Inning?

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm

The question here, I think, is "What does the math say?"

For that, I have no clue whatsoever.

I used to go with the later innings, however, I have gravitated to the 1st inning. The logic, to me, being that the first inning tends to be the inning that statistically yields the most runs. Anything thing you can do to stop an extra run is a good outcome. Think of the MLB playoffs: when every single run matters, you should play to stop every single run.

Having said that, if mathematically someone can demonstrate another inning offers higher reward, I might consider that.

However, then I would probably stick to the first inning just because.

FWIW, I think this is the type of number crunching that the techs at Strat could really shed some light on. And not just for infield in, but for all the settings.

Return to General Strategy