Any luck pinch-hitting for platoons?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

tmfw30

Any luck pinch-hitting for platoons?

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm

This is nothing new, but one of HAL's most egregious shortcomings is his complete disregard for "avoid" lefties or righties for hitters.

Happens all the time to me, but my most recent example is with a Kreevich/Bradley CF platoon. Kreevich came up with runners on base, team tied or down by 1, against a righty reliever, 3 TIMES late in the game and HAL let him kill my inning every time.

I have Kreevich as avoid righties AND Bradley as my pinch-hitter vs. righties. I often try to make my platoon mates the pinch hitters under team strategy, hoping it will up the odds they will switch with each other when the opposing pitcher changes, but that doens't seem to do jack. Maybe even unhelpful.

Has anyone, anywhere, made progress on this issue?

Thanks, Matt

Guynick

Re: Any luck pinch-hitting for platoons?

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 12:23 am

This frustrates me, too. I would love to see a setting that allowed two players to be formally linked as platoon-mates, leading to more of the strategic outcomes that ought to imply.

milleram

Re: Any luck pinch-hitting for platoons?

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 am

Those avoid lefty and righty settings are only for the initial lineups--(when your listed starter is injured, and there is no sub, or maybe the sub is injured also)--and HAL is tying to come up with a lineup.

Hal usually will pick the right sub, which really does make those avoid lefty and righty settings almost useless, and even sometimes counter productive if a highly reverse pitcher is starting.

As far as pinch-hitting---those avoid lefty-righty settings have no effect at all I don't think. (not positive , but my experience)

Return to General Strategy