Using Ace starter also as closer

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Barigood

Using Ace starter also as closer

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm

So, If I have an old-timey 325+ innings starter with a 5 relief rating, can I also use him as a single inning closer? I can see how fatigue might affect him if he pitched often...but it's an idea? What do you think?

Barigood

Re: Using Ace starter also as closer

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Well, I will try it and might let you know how it works out.

MARCPELLETIER

Re: Using Ace starter also as closer

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm

I guess you talk about a starter with a star...a starter who needs 3 days of rest.

There are ways I believe to force HAL to use your pitcher as your closer even though he starts at his regular spot...you have to set him as closer and I believe you must also force Hal to use the closer.

But expect him to enter in the game as fatigued (except for the rare case he will have a very short outing as a starting pitcher). If he gets in the game the very next game after he started, I believe his fatigued rating will be at 0 (the worse rating). If he gets a day off, his rating will be 4, which is still bad, but not as bad. His fatigue rating will be lower the second game, but I'm not sure how that second-day rating works.

The impact will depend on the league you play. If you play in a high-cap league, expect an ERA in the 8.00/9.00 range when used as a closer. If you play in a low-cap league, the ERA will not be as bad, but his performance will still be affected by his fatigued state.

Often, owners don't see the bad performance from the naked eye. The starter's ERA might be around 6.00, which could be expected in a high-cap league where there is ton of offensive weapons. When you analyze the performance carefully, you see that the pitcher had, for example, a 5.50 ERA in games he started and a 8.00 ERA in games he closed.

However, and I must add, unfortunately, SOM will not penalize your pitcher when he gets back to his typical starting spot. SO his performance as a starting pitcher will not be affected by this zealous performance. But you might frustate a few colleagues who think this goes beyound the line.

Return to General Strategy