OK

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

danno

OK

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 am

Not Relevant.
Last edited by danno on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MARCPELLETIER

Re: THERE'S NO STRATEGY INVOLVED

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:48 am

Danno,

Why not use one of your credit to pick up exactly the players I tell you to pick up? I suggest that we use ATG, because the players field is biggest. We'll see if your name is doomed to lose.

coyote303

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

danno, I learned from working a help desk years ago that there are stages of anger a customer may have. There are different ways to help such a customer depending how angry they are. However, there is the final destructive phase. If a customer reaches this phase, there is really nothing you can do that will satisfy him. The only strategy is not let someone get to that level in the first place.

danno, sadly it sounds like you are at that phase. I urge you to find another game because it's unlikely you will ever enjoy this one.

However, of course you won't do this because you are hell bent on proving how horrible this game is and how unfair it is and so on.

Now it may sound like I am making a personal attack on you. That is not my goal. I want to merely draw your attention to just how angry you have become. The only way you will ever enjoy this game if for you to figure out where this anger is coming from and let go of it. I assure you the root cause of your anger is not that the game is "fixed."

I could give rational counters to each of your examples and arguments, but unless you let go of your anger, they would fall on deaf ears.

G_MONEY

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Dunno, you need to meet the player named "SOM crappy unrealistic results"

tmfw30

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 am

I wonder which of these scenarios is more likely:

1. That stratomatic is a game based upon the results of dice rolls, and that the human brain, which evolved to recognize patterns, has a slightly negative bias towards perceived information (e.g. better to mistake a stick for a snake than vice versa; it takes 5 positive experiences in a relationship to balance out 1 negative experience, etc.), and which did not evolve with an intuitive understanding of probability and statistics, projects patterns and ill-intent when faced with confusing or unfavorable stratomatic results, when in fact it's just standard statistical wobbles, or...

2. The humans who run stratomatic, a small and unsophisticated company which has developed and fine-tuned a fairly sophisticated game over a long period of time, and which relies on a small and loyal base of demanding customers, are deliberately undermining the integrity of their game by rigging the results for some reason.

Davesodu

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 2:17 pm

tmfw30 wrote:I wonder which of these scenarios is more likely:

1. That stratomatic is a game based upon the results of dice rolls, and that the human brain, which evolved to recognize patterns, has a slightly negative bias towards perceived information (e.g. better to mistake a stick for a snake than vice versa; it takes 5 positive experiences in a relationship to balance out 1 negative experience, etc.), and which did not evolve with an intuitive understanding of probability and statistics, projects patterns and ill-intent when faced with confusing or unfavorable stratomatic results, when in fact it's just standard statistical wobbles, or...

2. The humans who run stratomatic, a small and unsophisticated company which has developed and fine-tuned a fairly sophisticated game over a long period of time, and which relies on a small and loyal base of demanding customers, are deliberately undermining the integrity of their game by rigging the results for some reason.

I vote for #2. I know I am way too smart to lose almost 100 games the season I just finished. It had nothing to do with my poor draft result or the way I didn't recover from that draft very well.
OK, maybe it really is me but I rather blame someone else.

TomSiebert

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

As a guy who had the 2nd best record at season's midpoint in two straight 24 team leagues who then saw both fall off the table and not even manage to make the wild card cut, I have to disagree with the central premise of this post.

I have felt that there are flaws in the game, for sure. But I have been involved in too many leagues where a team gets hot in the last week and makes a playoff spot that seemed out of reach, and I have seen teams choke and fold with a week to go as well. I don't think the "The AI has a result in it's 'head' and follows it," argument holds weight.

I have felt like the management at Strat0Matic is out to get me at at times, however. ;-)

tws

paul8210

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 am

Channeling my Louis CK here....

I believe the game functions with the highest integrity, but....................................................

Ever notice how a marquee player in the mystery game will hit .176 over the first 20 games and you hold on to him and he turns it around between games 21-50 and validates your belief he's going to do well by hitting .412?

Once he does this he never seems to hit a bad stretch the rest of the season similar to games 1-20.

YettieJohnston

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Ahoy,

Being in IT since 1976, and have produced enough code that could NEVER have a problem lurking in it due to my OUTSTANDING unit and integration testing, there could be a possibility that there could be some odd, erratic, results coming out of the random dice roll code or other HAL crippled brain cells - but I highly suspect that this is not a Strat-O directive.

I often see my teams that start out so hot I can't possibly miss the playoffs, barely make the wild card - like they say - every teams is likely to win 40 & lose 40 - it's the other 82 that matter.

Yettie

murf4

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 pm

i read all this and to be honest i felt the same way at first as the guy who supports the conspiracy theory, however everyone else on here did not and there rightand i feel restored, this is truely an exciting game and frustrating to.... lol thanks for posting
Next

Return to General Strategy