How Long do you stick with an underperforming card?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Carl_M

Re: How Long do you stick with an underperforming card?

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Oh Yettie, you are so right. You'll get kick out of this one.
I'm playing the insufferable one, down a run, last inning, guy on second, one out up comes Roberto. The Great One, the hero of Allegheny county. Well he's been a gbA guy for me all season so I say "no way he hoover's here, it is impossible. Of course he rolls up the 3-2 LOmax. I would have been mad if it wasn't so funny.
Needless to say I was able to even the score another day.
Bottom ninth, down 2, up comes Gabby Hartnett, 2 on, 2 out. I put my hand over his card and say "come on Gabby, it's getting dark." Well doesn't he roll up the 3-6 homer.
The insufferable one, and he knows who he is, darn near flipped the table of over.
So don't tell me these cards don't have personally.

tmfw30

PostThu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm not a dropper (see above) but I've been experimenting with a strategy that may or may not be optimal but is at least fun. The goal is to mitigate the risk of expensive, injury prone players.

In 2 separate leagues I have the high priced Brett and Bagwell cards, respectively. They each went down with 10 game injuries. In both cases I dropped the guy and picked up his next card down the list, both of which are less injury prone. The Brett card is pretty comparable, a 1* injury, and better against lefties. The Bagwell card is inferior but still good and a 0 injury. Now I've already gotten some value out of these guys on their big cards and either 1.)ride out the season with the new cards without missing anything to injury, or 2.)When the injury expires, examine my roster to see if I'm wasting money anywhere (e.g. a $2m relief pitcher who isn't getting many innings) and get my big guys back.

This could also work for Josh Gibson, although his 2nd card is an injury risk as well so might not be worth it. Thoughts?

Chief78

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 am

It depends on if you are winning or not. An under-preforming card can play for you if you don't need its production and he has good defense. The problem is when the guy you build your team around falters and has a bad card. My last team I tried to use Yount at SS, I never tried before. Well, he was on his worst year and without his production the offense suffered too much, I dropped him half way into the year. On the other hand, if you have Ozzie Smith, and he is on his worst year, He can stay on your team as long as your sluggers are slugging.

Pitching is harder to evaluate for a couple of reasons. Generally starters only pitch every couple days so you accumulate data slower. Secondly, there is more opportunity to bias the rolls in favor of the batters card. This gives even less of an objective view. Both of these things have an effect on pitcher evaluation.

In the mystery card league, evaluation is complicated. The cards are set to produce the players stats IN THE YEAR the card simulates. So if you have a group of pitchers with cards from ten different years in the league, a totally unique environment is created for a batters card to roll in. Likewise for the batter. This is what makes the mystery leagues so interesting.

bbfan

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 pm

You stick with the card, unless you realized you made a mistake, e.g., choosing a HR hitter in a singles BP. Case in point, I have Gary Sanchez from the current set... best HR card in the set, especially against lefties (12 HR chances) - in 80 AB's versus LH's not a single HR!!! http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/leftright/1455943

and while the rest of the team is 50% in BP FX HR chances, he is 1 for 13. Just bad dice but no reason to replace him with a statistically inferior card.

JT

Nathan's Famous

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I had Cody Bellinger hitting .150 after about 21 games, but stuck with him and he's had 4 two homer games in the last 9 or so... been en fuego, and is now at about .260.

STEVE F

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Nathan's Famous wrote:I had Cody Bellinger hitting .150 after about 21 games, but stuck with him and he's had 4 two homer games in the last 9 or so... been en fuego, and is now at about .260.

This thread is not about Daily game.

Nathan's Famous

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm

my apologies: first time user.

tpdeharts

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 am

Verbal Warrior wrote:That's a big one right? You look at the card and probabilities and say 'No way this guy shouldn't at least be above .250 and have 10-15 more dingers and yet every game...nothing. You keep him at the 3 4 or 5 hole and...bubkes.

How long until you say, it's literally 'just not in the cards'? 40, 50 games, 80?

You look at some FAs and think 'This card is waaay worse than my guy' but do you make a move for the sake of making it or stick it out figuring it'll alllll balance out?

thats one of the great thing bout SOM baseball even the best players get hot & cold streaks
Previous

Return to General Strategy