How to get HAL to pinch hit more

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Joe Morgan

How to get HAL to pinch hit more

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I have several platoons. I've pinch hit 13 times in 90 games. I'd love HAL to pinch hit more when they counter my hitter with a same handed pitcher. I have a pinch hitter picked for each side in preferences...... but I really am frustrated seeing 7R hitters facing LH pitchers with a 9L hitter sitting on the bench.

Joe

MARCPELLETIER

Re: How to get HAL to pinch hit more

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 1:07 pm

A few tips, but they won't change Hal's apathy entirely:

1-Hal is more likely to pinch-hit in response to a pitcher change. A pitcher change is more likely to happen if you alternate your lineup of lefty and righty hitters. So, if you have a traditional platoon consisting of a 7R lefty bat and a 7L righty bat, try to set your 7R lefty after a right-handed hitter.

2-Hal is very sensitive to power. A 7R hitter who has power vs lhp (say, 4 direct chances of homerun and nothing else on the card) is less likely to be replaced than a 4R hitter who has no slugging vs lhp (and tons of walk).

3-There is anecdotal evidence that Hal seems reluctant to pinch-hit in the 7th or 8th if the bench is thin. IF you have 13 players, and two players are injured, Hal seems to be waiting for the 9th inning before pinch-hitting a player. So it might be a good idea to add a few players on the bench.

Joe Morgan

Re: How to get HAL to pinch hit more

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Ah,

I see a few patterns. I am in Camden so I have hitters with a few HR spots on their weak side. I've adjusted the line up a bit. Hopefully my weak hitting slick fielding shortstop doesn't continue to come up in the 8th as the tying run and still swinging away with a 7R sitting on the bench waiting to pounce.

Thank you very much!!!!

Joe

Return to General Strategy