HAL Pinch Hit Decisions

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

stratorat

HAL Pinch Hit Decisions

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Playing 70's League/Mystery Card.
Own S Brye who, due to injury is either 72/.592 OPS 8L or 74/.684 OPS E. After 82 AB's, based his splits LBA-.154/RBA-.302, I assumed he's in 74/E card.
HAL PH Biittner for Brye vs. a RHP. Shouldn't that telegraph Biitner is in a better card than Brye vs. RHP'ing??

paul8210

Re: HAL Pinch Hit Decisions

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 10:19 am

Mystery League: I've concluded it is dangerous to make conclusions based on HAL's situational pinch hitting decisions.

A season-end review of 2000's Bill Mueller ('07) being pinch hit twice (Bard ('07) and Reese('99)) against Isringhausen ('01) and Valverde ('05) over a span of three games in mid-season, leading to an ill-advised drop of Mueller's card by the pennant-chasing manager shows how dangerous it is to make conclusions that Mueller was on a weak card.

Mueller's card was a .295 BA, with an 'N' against right-handed hitters.
Reese's card was .285 BA, with and 'N' against right-handed hitters, with stated power no better than Mueller's.

Bard is a switch-hitter.

Isringhausen ('01) and Valverde ('05) are right-handed pitchers heavily effective against left-handed hitters.

Possibly, Bard and/or Reese were listed as pinch hitter preferences by the manager, which may have influenced things, but, I'd hate to draw any assumptions about why HAL did what he did.

Return to General Strategy