Conservative baserunning/conservative stealing

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Hittmens

Conservative baserunning/conservative stealing

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am

What does conservative mean. It should mean that you only run when the odds are more clearly in your favor. The stats dont support this however as i have the worst sucess rates in the league.

milleram

Re: Conservative baserunning/conservative stealing

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:05 pm

without seeing your team it's difficult to say why, but I go with conservative usually, with my best guys (18-13 or better) checked "steal more"---I assume that brings them back to a normal rating.

Sometimes I go down to 16-11 guys checked SM depending on my team--Power teams don't need to run as much. Generally I have a 75-80% success rate.

Guys that have a lower rate of success I check "do not steal"

The 15-13 guys are usually the only ones that are a bit of a head scratcher for me. they are below avg. stealing 2nd, and above avg. stealing 3rd (stealing third uses the second number)

Pick Off warning---pick offs do not count as Caught stealing for some reason in strat, but they can bite you.

Guys that steal one or two bases and have the common rating of 2/- (20-6) I recommend setting them to "do not steal", they will get picked off more times than they get a good lead--(the pick-off is based on the 2nd number of the 20-6 rating--so when they dive back to the bag they only have a 6 of 20 chance) a 3/20-6 guy is not a good bet either, and even 4 (20-6) is not great.

Seems another rating I see often is 4* (19-6)----remember those * guys will always be held--even if you check the "do not steal" box--so you can avoid CS while still getting the extra hits possibilities off the fielding charts.

That is Stealing---for running I am much more likely to go aggressive and almost never go conservative--even with a team that is not that fast I go aggressive often, I want to get that extra run, after all the best guys just hit .300--Strat needs to update badly in this area--aggressive going home, conservative anywhere but home with two outs and normal elsewhere is what I want--with online I think aggressive helps more than it hurts.

Hittmens

Re: Conservative baserunning/conservative stealing

PostWed Aug 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I admit my teams are "slow" without base stealers. But i am going to switch to normal on the base running and see if it helps.

Return to General Strategy