How to make HAL pinch hit?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bcousy57

How to make HAL pinch hit?

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 11:37 am

I know the answer is already :lol:, and I've seen variations on this thread before, but I'll ask again (and maybe should post this in the wish list forum): Why won't HAL pinch hit in obvious pinch-hitting situations?

I'm in a $100M, ATG8, DH league and I have a couple of platoons going at DH and 1B. My 1B platoon is Galarraga (9L) and Joyner (4R); my DH platoon is Daniels (9R) and Boone (7L).

Repeatedly and chronically this season, HAL has refused to pinch hit for the obvious correct side of the platoon, EVEN IF it is the 9th inning and I am trailing. I've checked and often there seems to be no obvious counter move HAL is guarding against.

Take last night's game as an example (http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/430472/211). Trailing by three runs in the 9th, two men on, one out, Isringhausen (R-E) in to close, Galarraga (9L) up, with Daniels (9R) and Joyner (4R) staring in from the dugout. HAL does not pinch hit. Why? :evil:

P.S. All the normal settings are checked (the "avoid LH and RH" stuff, although I know that only pertains to whether HAL will bring in a pinch-hitter, not remove a hitter.)

milleram

Re: How to make HAL pinch hit?

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Typical in my experience--though I play 20xx mostly.

I have a new team with 5 platoons starting soon---OUTLOOK GLOOMY.

The best way to get HAL to PH---

1--noDH league.
2--have everyone in the pen but your .5 mopup guy tired
3--Have your stud SP throwing a 1 hitter in a 0-0 tie game in the 7th.
4--The pitcher is up to bat with two out and no-one on base.

bcousy57

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 11:28 am

milleram wrote:Typical in my experience--though I play 20xx mostly.

I have a new team with 5 platoons starting soon---OUTLOOK GLOOMY.

The best way to get HAL to PH---

1--noDH league.
2--have everyone in the pen but your .5 mopup guy tired
3--Have your stud SP throwing a 1 hitter in a 0-0 tie game in the 7th.
4--The pitcher is up to bat with two out and no-one on base.

:lol:

gkhd11a

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 12:49 am

The best way to make HAL pinch hit is to give him more hitters, the more hitters he has the more likely he pinch hits. Also if you select one that is good defensively you can list him as defensive sub and HAL will more eagerly pinch hit for the lesser fielder. Counting on HAL to do the right thing is always perilous.

bcousy57

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 am

gkhd11a wrote:The best way to make HAL pinch hit is to give him more hitters, the more hitters he has the more likely he pinch hits. Also if you select one that is good defensively you can list him as defensive sub and HAL will more eagerly pinch hit for the lesser fielder. Counting on HAL to do the right thing is always perilous.

I hear what you're saying, but based on HAL's inability to pinch hit with Kal Daniels (9R), one of the top pinch hitters in ATG8, in obvious pinch hitting situations, even if the hitter he would replace is a DH, I'm not dropping any more salary on a bench that doesn't get used properly.

Return to General Strategy