Fielding chart question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

darkmind

Re: Fielding chart question

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 pm

I must be missing something. I have 1 rated infielders giving up singles pretty routinely. That doesn't happen in face to face strat, but it does on this program. Seems like they do it at really bad times too)....Vizquel lost a couple games on GB SS(x) recently and he's a 1 (e4)

MARCPELLETIER

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 3:41 pm

In fact, I suspect that, like many other face-to-face leagues, you were playing with the advanced fielding chart and were following the advanced rules with regards to defense, instead of playing with the super-advanced fielding chart and under the super-advanced rules with regards to defense.

Under the advanced rules, a 1-defender always remain a 1. If defense elects to hold the runner at first, the "penalty" for the defense is that gbA+, found on the offensive card, becomes a single**.

Under the super-advanced rules, a gbA+ remains a gbA if defense holds a runner. Instead, the penalty for a defense holding a runner at a base is enacted on the fielding chart. In short, the defensive players "responsible" for the runner (the first baseman and the ss when the situation is "runner held at first" and a right-handed hitter is at the plate) lose a lot of efficiency. To take Vizquel as an example, instead of having outs from 1 to 20 on the fielding chart, readings from 1 to 6 become all singles and readings from 7 to 20 are read like a ss-2 (instead of ss-1). Error readings are not affected. The net result is that Vizquel becomes a "ss-4" with regards to hits, but has more gbA than a regular ss-4.

While the penatly in super-advanced rules seems huge, it's still less than yielding 6 more chances of hits with gbA+ (since most players have 6 chances of gbA+). I think that, at most, there are 2.7 additional hits yield by these rules. GbA+ can still become a single** in superadvanced play, but only with the defense plays in.

The super-advanced rules are the one used on-line, but they can also be used in face-to-face. So it's not a matter of "the computer vs face-to-face", but a matter of "super-advanced rules" vs "advanced rules".

STEVE F

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 5:02 pm

darkmind wrote:I must be missing something. I have 1 rated infielders giving up singles pretty routinely. That doesn't happen in face to face strat, but it does on this program. Seems like they do it at really bad times too)....Vizquel lost a couple games on GB SS(x) recently and he's a 1 (e4)

It does happen if you're playing super advanced rules.
Previous

Return to General Strategy