Pinch Hitting Conundrum. Help!

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Verbal Warrior

Pinch Hitting Conundrum. Help!

PostFri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello.

This has happened quite often to my current team so I'm hoping some Online Strat O Vets can help me.

I use a platoon at most positions in this ATG league I'm in. I have Aikens (L) a 5R and May (R) a 6L at 1b. A RHP starts so Aikens starts. I'm down in the bottom of the 9th (2 games in a row) a Lefty Reliever comes in, Sambito a 9L. I am screaming at the screen for May to pinch hit and Hal lets Aikens hit. I lose, both instances May gets a hit on the roll.

My settings are avoid RHP for May and LHP for Aikens. I also have don't PH for R for Aikens and L for May. I have May as a DEF replacement for Aikens, is that it? Hal's not removing him because there's not a lead?

Driving me bonkers :oops:

milleram

Re: Pinch Hitting Conundrum. Help!

PostSat May 07, 2016 12:19 am

It is the same way for all leagues (ATG, 20xx, etc)---I will have some teams where HAL will PH and others where he never will---not much you can do about HAL.

I wish I could recognize a pattern myself---I thought HAL would PH for more extreme (9L/R) guys more often for a while, but have been proven wrong. This season I can't get HAL to PH for Raburn with D. Peralta in 2015. With Gennett in 2014 HAL seemed to PH just right, also Lind PH a lot for my 1B platoon against LH in 2014. ????????

andycummings65

PostSat May 07, 2016 2:03 am

There's been a call here for platoon-players to be pinch-hit for when an opposite handed pitcher enters and the platoon hitter loses his advantage. But, if you are using 2-3 platoons, a smart manager could use his pen to run the opposing manager deep into his bench (or even out of offensive players) by forcing pinch-hitters for platoons.

FALCON29

PostTue May 10, 2016 12:16 pm

andycummings65 wrote:a smart manager could use his pen to run the opposing manager deep into his bench...

Are you suggesting that HAL is a smart manager?

ScumbyJr

PostFri May 13, 2016 10:08 am

Verbal Warrior wrote:Hello.

This has happened quite often to my current team so I'm hoping some Online Strat O Vets can help me.

I use a platoon at most positions in this ATG league I'm in. I have Aikens (L) a 5R and May (R) a 6L at 1b. A RHP starts so Aikens starts. I'm down in the bottom of the 9th (2 games in a row) a Lefty Reliever comes in, Sambito a 9L. I am screaming at the screen for May to pinch hit and Hal lets Aikens hit. I lose, both instances May gets a hit on the roll.

My settings are avoid RHP for May and LHP for Aikens. I also have don't PH for R for Aikens and L for May. I have May as a DEF replacement for Aikens, is that it? Hal's not removing him because there's not a lead?

Driving me bonkers :oops:

Take a number and get in line. The situational "Don't PH for" should be scrapped for a "PH for"

coyote303

PostSat May 14, 2016 12:46 am

My settings are avoid RHP for May and LHP for Aikens.

The avoid RHP/LHP settings only apply when entering the game as a pinch hitter. It has absolutely no effect on players already in the lineup.

Return to General Strategy